Thread: Water Source

Default Water Source

I'm new to bee keeping here in CT and have two questions. First..now that the weather is finally getting warmer and the pools are now open is there any way to keep or minimize bees from using pools as their water source? It seems they are attracted to the chlorine or clean water. Second I may have to move frames between 2 hives because I had to steal some from another hive due to a swarm.. does anyone have any suggestions how to either shake or brush the bees off the frames so I minimize the chance of accidently moving the queen?

Once bees get on a water source, it's hard to get them off of it. I use a chicken waterer near the hives. Sometimes they use it, sometimes not. They like my bird bath around the back of the house. My neighbor has a big, beautiful pool and no complaints yet. Try to give them an alternative. As far as not moving the queen, the best way is to find and isolate her when you move the frames. If not, you can shake the bees off, leaving as few as possible. I don't like brushing them.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Boardman feeders make good waterers.

Just today I put a little condensate pump like the ones used for air conditioners next to my new dehumidifier and ran the condensate out to where a normally wet spot is in the spring with 3/8" copper. I'm hoping that 5 gallons a day spilled on that spot will be enough to keep the bees coming back to that water source all summer like they did this spring. Just turn the dehumidifier on and effortless water all summer......I hope.