Thread: Mass exidous

Default Mass exidous

Installed a package of russians last night. Today at about 11: they started a mass exit.. I installed at dusk last night so that they could oreant. Every thing looked great last night and this morning . When my back yard was loaded with flying bees I closed the enterance. I watched all day and noticed they were massing on the screened bottom board. Hive was very loud. This evening I opened up the enterance and looked inside. I got to thinking that since the came from Georgia ( got here Wed.),I felt they were hungry and sprayed 1-1 on them and put on a encerance feeder. Do you think they were going to abscond or what? The queen is still in her cage. I plan on keeping her there untill I'm sure they are going to stay.This is a new hive box and frames with foundation. What ya'll think? By the way bees arrived by Parcil Post with less than 200 bees dead. Thank USPS

It didn't hurt to spray them with sugar water and give them feed. I would agree to keep the queen locked up until you have more time to see what's going to happen next. I think it's odd that they would consider absconding at this point although if they were thinking about swarming before they were packaged, they could still be thinking about it...especially if there's another queen that was loose in the package. Keep your eyes on things and let us know.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

A package (meaning bees with a new queen to whom they have no ties) on new foundation without comb - you should always start feeding as soon as you install them. Don't know if that's why they decided to take off, but it didn't help that they were put into a box with no comb and no food.

Bill
    “If you want to gather honey, don't kick over the beehive.” - Dale Carnegie

They did same thing this morning at 10. I put on a enterance queen excluder and let them do what they wanted to do. I had put the feeder on yesterday and they took a 1/2 pint. I removed 2 frames of brood from a buckfast hive and manuall released the queen at about 2. If there was another queen, I figured the strong will survive. I vaced the swarm and put them in a different hive. I'm expecting two more queens this week. I'm going to keep them closed up for a day or two,I will then add a couple of brood from another hive along with a new queen. The orginal hive this afternoon is performing house keeping and things look normal. If they try that swarm thing again I'm going to split them 4 ways and combine with some other of my hives. Whatca think ?