Thread: queenless hive

Default queenless hive

Hello this is my first post here. I inspected my hive on May 20 to find no eggs, no uncapped brood, and 7 frames with some capped brood. There was still lots of honey pollen and bees in the hive. I saw 6 queen cells of which all had emerged. Queen cells were spread out and on the middle of the frames. I checked last Wednesday and still no brood. I estimate that if I have a new queen from one of the queen cells she should start laying by June 6th. Does that sound right? Is there anything else I should do? I have a nuc I just installed last Wednesday as well.

thanks

You had queen cells that had emerged on the 20th. Two weeks is usually how long it takes to get a laying queen, although bad weather can sometimes delay it by as much as another week. So two weeks is the 3rd of June.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Thank you! If I do not see any evidence of the queen on the 3rd should I requeen? Also the bees are filling up the 2 deep hive bodies with honey and nectar. Should I remove some of it?

>If I do not see any evidence of the queen on the 3rd should I requeen?

I would.

> Also the bees are filling up the 2 deep hive bodies with honey and nectar. Should I remove some of it?

The bees will move it if there is somewhere to move it to. I'd add an empty box for them to put their honey in.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF