Thread: I'm leaving

Default I'm leaving

For San Antonio Monday morning for vacation for a week. I have 2 hives that were package installs from the 8th of may. They seem to be doing really good and just had to requeen one and it went fine. I have been feeding them a quart of 1:1 a day since the start. Do you all think they will be fine without feeding for 7 days or should I get my bro in law to come over and feed them every other day?

If they are new packages on new foundation, you'll want to keep feeding them without interuption while they are drawing out the comb

You are in MS and it's late enough in the year there should be plenty of Nectar and you aren't going to be there. Bees start colonies from swarms with no beekeepers to feed them all the time.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

The flow usually starts around April 15th in Mississippi. It stops around the end of June.

All this rain has put a damper on nectar flow in MS, but it is starting to kick in. I believe you do not have to feed your hive.
    Fannbee

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Feed them just before you go and then check on them as soon as you get back. I did that around the first of May with three packages. I doubled up on the pail feeders but they still drank them dry and then built the most amazing comb around them. It was very cool! They were (are) fine.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Great thanks for all the responses. I'm gonna have my bro-in-law come by Wednesday and I will top off this evening then I'll fill them back up next Sunday when I come back. Again thanks.