Default What time of day is best to enter hive

When during the day is best to get into the hive?

If I can, I like to go in between 1200 and 1400 on a warm, sunny day. Foraging bees are most active , which means there are fewer in the hive, and everyone in the hive is busy- less time to focus on ME.

Bill
    “If you want to gather honey, don't kick over the beehive.” - Dale Carnegie

Default When?

Depends on your mission and season timing. If you're going to disrupt the broodnest in the early season, go into the colony early, say 10 A, to give them time to reorganize the cluster before cold temps return. Without broodnest disruption, you can take a peek at almost any time.

There was a long thread on this subject sometime back. Made no input. Opinions ranged all over the ball park.

Later in the season, when the colony has sufficient population to stand some intrusion, you can penetrate the colony and generate some confusion without inpact. Only experience will tell you when those times are applicable to your area.

Walt

Default When?

Depends on your mission and season timing. If you're going to disrupt the broodnest in the early season, go into the colony early, say 10 A, to give them time to reorganize the cluster before cold temps return. Without broodnest disruption, you can take a peek at almost any time.

There was a long thread on this subject sometime back. Made no input. Opinions ranged all over the ball park.

Later in the season, when the colony has sufficient population to stand some intrusion, you can penetrate the colony and generate some confusion without inpact. Only experience will tell you when those times are applicable to your area.

Come to think about it, that earlier thread was relevant to temp. Since the bees break cluster at about 50 degrees, and locally, that makes for a short work day in the early season, I don't work the colonies unless the forcast temps are expected to exceed about 55.

Walt

Quote Originally Posted by bnatural View Post
    If I can, I like to go in between 1200 and 1400 on a warm, sunny day. Foraging bees are most active , which means there are fewer in the hive, and everyone in the hive is busy- less time to focus on ME.

Bill
    I'll second that. Nothing like mid-day with a good flow
    going.

I think a lot depends on your school/work scheduel !
    If you work 8 to 5 checking between 11 and 2 in the noon time makes it a weekend project !

Your avilable time is the answer.

This is another thing the starter out books forget to tell you anything about !

Good Luck
    PCM