Default A simple question

I am fortunate enough to have taken over some old apiaries, but as luck has it they are run down pretty badly and the previous beek's are no longer around to absorb some learning from. I ran into all supers was put on with foundationless frames. The girls went rampant zig zagging the comb. There was little to no honey and no brood in the top super. The brood chamber though on all looked very good as if foundation was used. I pulled all the top supers and replaced with framed and wax foundation. How long does it take healthy hives to draw out comb on shallow supers ?

Sorry for the lengthy typing.

Tim

Think it depends on the nectar flow. I had some that drew out mediums in 2 weeks or so -that was the time between when I checked them so it could have been sooner. they had a little on the outside frames not done, but they've left outer frames in other boxes too. Sure did smell good with all that new wax. Yum.

If you think that's long you should see my post on queen questions!

Sounds like you have a lot of work cleaning everything up. How many hives are there? Good luck.

Terri ,, I love that smell too. It is alot of work but I love every minute of it. I picked up on 11 hives. Had to burn alot that had rotted and was infested with wax moths. All in all the rest are in useable shape. Have some great parts in storage though.

That's great. I bought 11 hives from someone that was moving out of state (after close inspection with a more experienced beek) adn they required work but were in much better shape than it sounds like you had. I had 1 with a little wax moth and 1 that had a few SHB, but got those under control quickly. The SHB the bees took care of themselves after I made them happy. I lost 2 hives over the year - 1 to robbing last fall which killed me, and 1 that looked like they froze over winter, which was even worse because they were my favorites. So sweet. Then I've split once and captured a swarm, so I'm back at 11. I still want to replace the bottom boards with screened ones, then I'll have most of them like I want them. Did you get 11 working colonies?

Sounds as if ya been busy ! Yes all 11 are working hives as of now. 1 or 2 seem a little week, may requeen them. The screened bottoms, have you had any expierience with them ? I am thinking of them too.

Tim

I have 3 screened bottoms. That's all I planned to order, but of course couldn't control what the other guy was using. I do like them a lot better. It gives them more ventilation, which they can really use here. That's one of the big selling points for me now. But I think when I became convinced to use them was because some of the mites (varroa I think) are supposed to fall through them and not be able to get back in the hive. With either of those plusses, I see no reason to NOT use them, and plan to convert all of my hives.

I will prolly see about putting some to use too. The venelation alone would be great. The mite thing would be a definate plus.

Tim

Default Salvage it

Try and save as much comb as possible, use rubber bands and replace it into the same frames. the bee's will repair what you tear up and connect it all together nicely. extract it slow and it'll work fine.
    I just did something similar.
    I had a trapout and only used three frams as that's what I had on hand at the moment, I built some more frames and used cotton string and rubber bands to use all the comb they had built in the empty space. It's pure nice and white and no contamination.
    In the last week they have connected it all together nicely.

sometimes I think it is just simplier and better to render the wax down, buy new frames and new wax and start again. at your location at this time of year you might need to move the boxes down toward the red river (bradley area) to get a significant enough flow to get new foundation pulled.

The person you bought from might have gone foundationless in the honey suppers to get some cut comb honey with tender wax in the middle, instead of foundation in the middle.
    Too bad they where building it funky.
    Dan