Default 1st month - in Pittsburgh PA

Hi All

I am a new to bees, installed my first colony on May 4 '09 from a package. My second colony went in on May 22th from a swarm I captured.

Beekeeping was an interest of mine when I was in high school (A long time ago) but up until now I did not have a place were I could have bees. I currently have the two hives with room to expand to 4.

I am keeping a web blog and photo gallery on my experiance with the bees.
    http://www.BillysBees.com

Check it out some time.

Bill
    Pittsburgh PA

Bill,
    Welcome, it is good to have another Pittsburgher on the forum. Checked out your blog and it looks like you are starting off on the right foot with your bees. Good luck in the upcomming season.
    Al

Well done Bill

You just have to love that big fat queen

Mick

Hi Bill,
    Welcome and best wishes. I too am new and started two packages this spring, and caught two swarms. In fact, I think I sat next to you and Cathy at the Beaver Area Beekeepers club. I am about 10 miles south of pittsburgh in Bethel Park and if there is anything I can help with, I would be happy to do so.Good luck. Great site
    Tom

Default new to beekeeping in Pittsburgh area-looking for swarm

Hi,
    My name is Carrie, from Monroeville. I have ordered two top bar hives and am having trouble finding bees this time of the year. If anyone hears of any swarms for sale, please let me know. I will have my hives next week.
    Are there any top bar hive beekeepers in the area?
    I work every weekend, yes every weekend, and I can't go out on the weekends to look at a hive. I would appreciate anyone in the area that could show me a hive or two during the week, Lang or top bar!!!!
    Can't wait to get started,
    Carrie

At least, Carrie, if you have days off through the week, you'll be able to get swarms when others can't

mick

Still haven't obtained my bees due to schedules, or my hives which are coming today, I hope.
    Billy, those are great pics. They are clear and everything looks beeautiful!!
    I can't wait to get mine going!
    Carrie

Default your welcome to come over and see my hives anytime

Carrie

your welcome to come over and see my hives anytime. Give me an email at Billy@BillyTheClown.com

if I get a lead on a swarm I can't keep I will let you know.

Bill

Tom,

> I think I sat next to you and Cathy at the Beaver Area Beekeepers club.

That could be, Patty and I were there for April meeting, just before my bees come in.

Bill

Default Bees and Pens fans:

Hi all you Pens fans,
    I went to p/u my bees today. The guy had them on a ladder in an open cardboard box that was open and who knows how many bees were out foraging, not to mention I can't transport a box of open bees in my car. I finally got him to plan to seal them tonight after they come home and I will pick them up in the am. I'm exhausted from hauling mulch, concrete blocks and assembling my hive. I'm not done with that either, but it's going to be nice. Joey does a nice job and has a video on utube for assembling. It is all preassembled to fit and then disassembled for shipping. All you need is a screwdriver.
    If you want to take a look, go to www.customwoodkits.com
    and for assembly utube search for top bar hive part 1

Go Pens!!!!!!!!!!!11