Thread: Forum Settings

Default Forum Settings

Right now when i log in, threads with the most recent posts are shaded dark blue to signal that there is a new unread post in there..
    is there some setting i can change so that it only changes to the light blue/no new posts color only once i have actually read the posts?

currently if i come on here and check out 2-3 threads.. and close my browser.. when i come back 10-20 minutes later all posts are now marked as read.

sorry if that does not make sense...

Coon I have noticed the same happening to me.

The only thing i have found relevant as to what i am trying to figure out is the following at this link. http://www.beesource.com/forums/faq....thread_display

Viewing New Posts or Today's Posts
    How can I see the latest posts?
    There are two ways to quickly view recently created or updated threads.
    If you are not logged in, the 'today's posts' link will show a list of all threads that have been created or updated in the last 24 hours.
    If you are logged in, the 'Today's Posts' link will change to 'New Posts', which gives you a listing of all threads that have been created or updated since your last visit.
    The administrator can also set up the forums so that each thread you read is marked in the database. If this option is set, then new threads (or threads with new posts) will not be marked as read until you have actually read them.
    There is a built-in time limit to this, however, that will automatically mark all threads as 'read' after a set number of day, whether you really have read them or not. The default setting is 10 days, but the administrator could make this higher or lower.
    is it possible to change my settings to this?

Hi coon,
    I know what you mean, with 5 pages of topics every day its hard to view everything in a timely fashion.
    Dan

>is it possible to change my settings to this?

That's what I'd like too. I find it frustrating because I pretty much have to totally catch up in one sitting, which sometimes is very difficult to do.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Coon View Post
    currently if i come on here and check out 2-3 threads.. and close my browser.. when i come back 10-20 minutes later all posts are now marked as read.

sorry if that does not make sense...
    I find it erratic. Sometimes, posts from the night before still show up as unread the next day, yet, as you note, other times the posts from just a couple of hours ago change to being marked as read during the day, when I am right in the middle of catching up.

I have gotten into the habit of checking the time on the last unread post before I start reading, so I know how far to go back in case they all change to 'read.'

Bill
    “If you want to gather honey, don't kick over the beehive.” - Dale Carnegie

I have been having the same problem now for at least a month. Just thought it was me and my browser. Sometimes I can get it to correct itself by cking "Beesource Beekeeping Forums" and then come back through.
    De Colores,
    Ken

I am not an IT guy and have never played one on TV. But here are a couple things that I would check, if you haven't already.
    When you come to Beesource.com are you automatically logged in? And what browser are you using? If I come in using IE, I am automatically logged in and the status of read/unread posts is updated. If I come in using Firefox I am not automatically logged in all the posts show as having already been read until I manually log in. Lastly, have you recently cleared out your file cache?
    Look for the easiest solution first (Achem's razor), then search deeper.

Firefox.
    Automatically logged in.
    Cache not cleared.

Bill
    “If you want to gather honey, don't kick over the beehive.” - Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by rickomatic View Post
    When you come to Beesource.com are you automatically logged in? And what browser are you using? If I come in using IE, I am automatically logged in and the status of read/unread posts is updated. If I come in using Firefox I am not automatically logged in all the posts show as having already been read until I manually log in.
    IT guy or not, you stated what is going on here. If you don't set your browser to auto login, you will not get the benefit of it tracking your posts.
    Regards, Barry

hmm my browser is firefox. it is set to Automatically log me on.
    The thing that is weird about it is that it remembers which posts i have read and unread.. But after a certain amount of time it flags them all as being read.

Its not that big of a deal, it is just annoying and i did not know if there was some setting i could change that would easily fix it.

Thanks for the help at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Coon View Post
    hmm my browser is firefox. it is set to Automatically log me on.
    The thing that is weird about it is that it remembers which posts i have read and unread.. But after a certain amount of time it flags them all as being read.

Its not that big of a deal, it is just annoying and i did not know if there was some setting i could change that would easily fix it.

Thanks for the help at any rate.
    IE 7.0 with autologin. Same as described by Coon. Works fine then all of a sudden it says I have read everything which is incorrect. Now I am an IT guy (retired) and clearing cache/history/etc to fix the problem is not a fix.
    De Colores,
    Ken