Default Hello from Sacramento

Hello everyone, just introducing myself! I've had my bees for 10 whole days now, and I'm just fascinated by them. I've taken a class and joined an association but I still have a lot to learn and a lot of questions.

My bees were a very small swarm (est 3000-4000 bees) that were captured on Apr 30 and spent 3 weeks in their nuc box before I got them. I put them in the deep box the day after they arrived and did my first inspection last Saturday. I saw a lot of capped brood on the middle frames and just a little honey in the upper corners but they still haven't drawn out comb on the two outer frames and only on the insides of the next frames in. I was lucky enough to spot the queen and I can see eggs in the newly created cells. One cell had two eggs in the bottom.

I have seen a few dried larvae that the bees dragged out, one had some black fungus? looking stuff on it. I have a screened bottom board and I've only seen three mites in 10 days but the bees have dragged out about a dozen bodies and 3-4 bees that were still alive but had deformed wings.

Am I fussing or should I be concerned about fungus and viral maladies?

Thanks, Jasmine

first off welcome aboard...

are you fretting too much??? most new beekeepers do (the bee hivers on the other hand never worry again until the hive is dead and then they can't quite figure out what they didn't do to cause the hive to crater).

based on your description and the times stated it sounds like your local nectar flows must be almost non existant (and may point towards underlying cause). the other 'reason' may simply be the extreme small number from which this hive started (ie their field force is just extremely limited).

Thank you. I am sure I am fretting too much! The colony is very small and I have been supplementing them with sugar syrup to help them get going. They seem to be bringing in a fair amount of pollen, but I didn't see much on the combs when I looked at them - perhaps they are consuming it all.

Thanks again!

We have a nice long warm season to get those bees going right. & it sounds like you're doing a good job.
    Dan

Default Howdy from El Dorado Hills

I'm/we're newbees here in Sacramento too. My 3 kids and I teamed up to build a top bar hive which is going gangbusters right now, 7-8 new combs, capped brood, capped honey, and all the rest, just 2 weeks after our second installation (The first package absconded!). Everything is in bloom in our little slice of Northern California heaven, so I'm sure your bees are in top form too.

We bought our bees from Sacramento Beekeeping Supplies, perhaps the nicest small family business I ever crossed.

All the best to you and your bees!