Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

TBH split weirdness

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Michael Bush 
#1 ·
I have a TBH that was so full of bees and brood that yesterday we decided to split it.

Into the new TBH I moved six bars of brood, mostly capped . One of those bars had the queen on in. I also moved a bar of honey in with them. Then I shook in the bees from eight others bars and closed it up. There were a lot of bees in there when I was done.

As I watched over the next couple of hours, a few stragglers and drones crawled in, and there was a line of bees fanning at the entrance. However, what I did not see was any bees flying. Maybe one or two, and that's it.
I realize that my shaking really only netted me nurse bees, most of whom have never flown. I also realize that any foragers I shook in went back to the old hive . I know the bees are still in there because they buzz if I tap the side of the hive.

After yesterday's trauma I would prefer to not open the hive again for a few days/weeks but this is getting pretty mysterious.

Anyone have any similar experiences ? How long until the nurses learn to forage ?:scratch:

#2 ·
I would also feed dry sugar, they will go thru that honey in no time!...

A cpl weeks until you have foragers. if you want them go back and shake a few more in and block the entrances with dry grass. they will move it but reorinte themselves in the process

#4 ·
belly up to the bar (of honey, that is)

I gave them a complete bar of honey. Also, several of the brood bars I moved came from the end of the nest, and have a three to four inch swath of capped honey at the top.

Also : here's my new found hint to see if there are bees in a hive: fire up the 1965 Gravely model L and mow right up to the hive. Works like a charm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.