Default How much time to move a captured swarm?

Last evening I caught a swarm and I left the hive body at the capture location. There were still a few bees in the air. How much time do I have to relocate the hive before the bees fix on the current location? Is one full day already too late for the field bees who have left and returned?

My brother intends to add the hive to his apiary, which is less than one mile away.

Thanks,

I would have moved them the same night as you captured the swarm. I would screen the front of the hive and hit the road once the majority of the bees were in the hive. My wifes friend who lives out of state had a swarm on there fence and had a beekeeper come and hive the swarm. he left them box overnight and by morning when he returned they were gone. I figure losing a few field bees is worth it. I dont know if they would have stayed in the hive if he would have moved it but I figure if there are scout bees finding a new place to move into it sure doesn't hurt to leave a few of them behind. Just my view.

I agree, I had a swarm abscond when I was just starting out. Left them overnight and next morning they were gone. I guess the scouts found a better site. I always move them after I pick them up.

I agree...grab and go.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

I always take the swarm with me. I'm not worried about the few stragles left behind. I bring them home in a screened box and place them on the hive I want them to live in. I have a top cover feeder that I place on top of the hive. My catch box has two sides, 1 that has the screen the other side a sliding cover. I place the hive on my swarm box and open the slide to allow the bees to move up to their new home with the top feeder on it. I leave them closed up at least 48 hours. I open them up in the late evening to let them reorent there new location. On the 3 day or so I lift the hive off the swarm catch box, place them on the screened botton board with an enterance reducer and I'm done. I also do not bother them for at least 3 weeks. If they leave after all I've done. Their bad. Most important thing is to not bother them while they set up house.

thanx beaver,I never caught a swarm before..ill try it your way if i get any calls sounds easy.. there is no drones in may area unless there is no other hives in my location...i only seen 1 drone i entered my hive that day the next morning he was outside of hive dead..all organs attached as well..i guess they didn't want him in there..