Thread: Bees in cells

Default Bees in cells

I saw 2 or three bees that were not moving at all maybe dead. They were head first in a cell with half there body hanging outside of the cell. I did not remove them. I was not sure if they were dead or not. I thought if they are dead the bees would clean them out. Is this normal?

Thanks
    Dan

Default Dead head first

This could be starvation.

Bees die headfirst in cells looking for last food.

Is there nector or honey in hive? You may need to be feeding?

J

not enough info. established hive?? new hive? just a cpl or?? you can always touch them and see if there dead....

Not real unusal to find them like that, they will clean them out if the population is good, a weak hive may have trouble keeping up with housecleaning.

The hive is 3 weeks old, I have been feeding, but, they are not taking a lot of syrup now maybe the nector has started to flow. I'll take a look maybe Sunday or Monday and see I find more.

Thanks
    Dan

Keep feeding. Check the syrup if it's been sitting for a while it might have fermented. Do you see any stores?

>Is this normal?

"When the workers penetrate the cells, and remain fifteen or twenty minutes motionless, I have reason to believe, it is to repose from their labours. My observations on the subject seem correct. You know, Sir, that a kind of irregular shaped cells, are frequently constructed on the panes of the hive. These, being glass on one side, are exceedingly convenient to the observe, since all that passes within is exposed. I have often seen bees enter these cells when nothing could attract them. The cells contained neither eggs nor honey, nor did they need further completion. Therefore the workers repaired thither only to enjoy some moments of repose. Indeed, they were fifteen or twenty minutes so perfectly motionless, that had not the dilation of the rings, shewed their respiration, we might have concluded them dead. The queen also sometimes penetrates the cells of the males, and continues very long motionless in them. Her position prevents the bees from paying their full homage to her, yet even then the workers do not fail to form a circle around her and brush the part of her belly that remains exposed.

The drones do not enter the cells while reposing but cluster together on the combs; and sometimes retain this position eighteen or twenty hours without the slightest motion"

NEW OBSERVATIONS ON THE NATURAL HISTORY OF BEES
    by François Huber (1750-1831).
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF