Thread: new bee girl

Smile new bee girl

Hi!

I’ll tell you how I got interested in bees. When I was about 5 or 6 I went outside and I found a bee drowning in my dog’s water dish. I was really afraid of all bugs when I was little, ESPECIALLY is they happened to have stingers…but I couldn’t stand to see it drowning so I put a twig in the bowl and the bee crawled on and I told it to tell all the other bees never to sting me as payment for saving it. I would later call it “my treaty with the bees”

Now I’m 17 and still never been stung once…but I can’t expect that to last, because I just got my first two beehives and I know stings come with the territory. I’ve been studying and learning about bees from local keepers since last fall, and now I’m trying it myself.

I started with two nuc boxes, five frames each, and transferred them to my hives. I was less than graceful with the first one (turns out my gloves were too big!) and the bees were a little irritated, but smoke calmed them down. The second hive went very smoothly. I’ve checked them a couple of times since then and they seem to be doing well. I love watching them fly and the humming sound they make.

Other than that…I have a vast menagerie of interests. I’m eclectic I’m your average teenage girl. I like to read and write and draw. I love riding my bike and being outside in general. Music is great, and I love all kinds…big band, classical, rock, county…you name it! And antiques are my things…classic movies too. When I grow up, I want to be a mortician. And I’m a Christian (which is probably the most important thing about me!)

Nice to meet you!

welcome new bee girl.This is a great site to learn from.I just started beeking a few months back.God is good.

thanks chad. and you're right!
    ~the girl who made a treaty with the bees~

Welcome Olive!

I know several beeks up in the northern part of the state. Some great bee clubs up there too: the Northeast IN Beekeepers and the Michiana Beeks.

I have a daughter your age, but she doesn't like bees. Her mind is on horses 24/7.

If you get a chance, consider coming over to Purdue on June 20th. The two statewide bee clubs are holding a joint meeting in the bee yards.
    http://www.entm.purdue.edu/beehive/events.html

Welcome aboard. It is good to see young people starting beekeeping. My son has joined me in learning. I am a beginner also.

welcome.

WElcome Olive,
    GOod luck w/ your bee's
    YOu have some good standards. GOD and Bee's!

Thanks alot everyone! And i'll definitely try to make it to purdue in june!

Hi Olive,
    My wife & I are new to beekeeping, & not ready to take the gloves off yet. We are wearing the nitrile exam gloves like doctors use at a checkup. With these gloves you can even feel a bee buzz in you're fingers.

Good Luck,
    Dan

Welcome Bee Girl.... Dont bee a stranger...LOTS of great info on this site...
    Tom
    Last edited by tileguy; 05-21-2009 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Miss Spell
    When I grow up, I want to be like John K.......

Greetings and welcome to the mad house that is beekeeping!! My oldest daughter is in school for funeral services which includes the mortician stuff.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

where does your daughter go to school Nasalsponge? Yeah, I'll be a senior in HS next year and I'll be working part time a funeral home to get a feel for it. Then I'll be going to cincinati college of mortuary sciences...unless i can find any other mortuary school

The University of Central Oklahoma, she has already got to sit in on some embalmings.....ewwwww
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

What a great story! And familiar...I have a similar treaty with spiders. I'm 37 and I haven't been bitten, and since I don't intend to raise a spider colony anytime soon, I'll consider the treaty a success . Welcome aboard...I am also a newbee so we'll be learning together.

haha! thats funny bluidshay...wonder what spider honey would taste like? :P