Thread: Raise a queen

Default Raise a queen

Hi-

If i just want to raise one queen as an insurance policy, what is the best way to do so. I figured I would move a few frames with brood and honey to a nuc and they would make a queen. If that works, then what if I want to hold on to her until I need her?

I have a similar scenario and the young queen is in a nuc that filled up realy fast so I keep stealing a frame of brood every 2 weeks and put an empty one.
    Soon I should give her a regular box.

sounds doable... a smaller (half size nuc) box should (when timed with some flow) make it fairly simple process. use you best stock and remove a small quantity of bees (from the brood area) plus a frame of very young larvae. I would likely want to move this unit some distance away from the 'mother hive' to limit drifting back to the original hive. then let the girls do all the work.

Default ...then what

Then what do I do with the small nuc after the queen is produced? Won't that get quickly over-crowded?

Just keep removing a frame or 2 to keep that hive from building up too much, or let it build up and if you need that queen due to loosing the other queen, do a combine.