Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default search for exact phrase

Hi, newbie question, how do I search within entire threads (not just titles) for an exact phrase. For example, if I wanted to isolate and highlight only those questions and responses with the exact phrase "carniolan queen", how do I do it?

I tried using the advanced search but didn't see it.

Thank you

Use the Advanced Search function. In the Search By Keyword field, enter carniolan+queen as this will find any post that has those two words in it, not just one or the other, like if you had put carniolan queen in the search field. The two words may not be used together in the post, but you will find any post that has those two words in it.

( shhhhhh, don't tell Derek)
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    ( shhhhhh, don't tell Derek)
    My ears were burning.

Thanks!
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

Oh my goodness, I can't hide anything around here from Derek! He's snooping everywhere.
    Regards, Barry

Oh my goodness, I can't hide anything around here from Derek! He's snooping everywhere.

I am such a narcissist that I just type in my name in to the search and refresh, refresh, refresh, refresh, refresh, refresh.
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

NO WAY!!! You got him to cave Derek!!
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

He bribed me with money!
    He won't find this one cause I left his name out, now that I know of his narcissistic ways.
    Regards, Barry

I wonder what is would cost to get those pics in the joke forum.

He'll stoop to any level...... We'd better tie him down before he heads for capitol hill!!! No telling what we'll wind up getting!!
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

Thanks, enjoyed the thread...just a thought, is there a drop down feature that could be turned on for members. If it would help, I can send a url of search capability on another forum which I frequent.

Thank you

The two words may not be used together in the post, but you will find any post that has those two words in it.
    Ummm, ok so you are saying there is no way to search on an exact phrase (a string of letters such as "carniolan <space> queen" or "buckwheat <space> honey"?

Well, if those two words are used together somewhere in a post, it will be one of the posts in the search results. The search will find all posts that have both words in them, whether together or apart.
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by thelorax View Post
    Ummm, ok so you are saying there is no way to search on an exact phrase (a string of letters such as "carniolan <space> queen" or "buckwheat <space> honey"?

Do this:

"carniolan+queen"

"buckwheat+honey"

Quote Originally Posted by thelorax View Post
    Thanks, enjoyed the thread...just a thought, is there a drop down feature that could be turned on for members. If it would help, I can send a url of search capability on another forum which I frequent.
    I'm not sure what you're after here. A search drop down already exists in the tool bar at the top of every page.
    Regards, Barry

I'm not sure what you're after here. A search drop down already exists in the tool bar at the top of every page.
    I am sorry that I am being a pain in the arse. I am merely suggesting that, if there were an advanced feature (not standard search window) available with the forum technology, that allowed a user to perform an exact phrase search, it may be useful.

Here is an example:
    http://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/search/

I won't post any more on this, again just a suggestion, thanks again.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/search.php

That is what you get in the advanced search option already.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek View Post
    I wonder what is would cost to get those pics in the joke forum.

Hmmmm I've heard that it can be bought!

Quote Originally Posted by Bizzybee View Post
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/search.php

That is what you get in the advanced search option already.
    I'll also be adding Google search to the whole site, which will include the forums, very soon. Existing search does the same as the other forum software but it looks a little different.

Hmmm, image posting for sale, eh? Mucho Bucks!
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Bizzybee View Post
    Hmmmm I've heard that it can be bought!
    And tomorrow is the 1st. Payday!! I'll be posting images by noon.

If you use the quotation marks and the + sign it will only bring up those post.

Ex. "carniolan+queen"

Will only show post that have carniolan queen. It won't single out carniolan or queen.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/sear...archid=1754436

The google search function was added today. The search field is on the home page and searches both the whole site and the forums. Now those that want to spend a lot of time looking through endless pages with the searched term "CCD" can do so. The main reason why the forum search is limited to four characters or more.
    Regards, Barry