Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Pepperell, MA, USA
    Posts
    37

    Default pics of my new TB hive




  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Lerimer County, Colorado
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Wow, that is really nice! I plan on starting next year with a TBH. May I ask where you got the plans for it?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Sebastopol, Ca.
    Posts
    307

    Default

    Very nice looking hive. I couldn't spot the entrance, so is it towards the wall? I am a bit jealous as I should have put mine on legs as well! So, building another before the season passes? We know you want to!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Portland, OR, USA
    Posts
    641

    Default

    It looks like Phil Chandler's plans in 36" form: http://www.lulu.com/content/815182

    Cheers,
    Matt

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Ennis, TX USA
    Posts
    5,125

    Default

    That looks really good spirit! Great job. Just a side note on the gardening. Your supposed to plant the flowers in the ground, not the pots.
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Dane County, WI.
    Posts
    3,721

    Default

    "Just a side note on the gardening. You're supposed to plant the flowers in the ground, not the pots."

    It's going to be the,.."Salvador Dali affect".

    There might be flower seeds planted in that soil by those pots. I have seen photos of wooden barrels that appear to be tipped over; the soil has spilled out and many pretty flowers are growing from it. It looks kind of weird; brings a chuckle,.. ["potty humor"?] The pots may be only half, so you can have two pots for the price of one!

    The TBH looks great too!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Pepperell, MA, USA
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    Wow, that is really nice! I plan on starting next year with a TBH. May I ask where you got the plans for it?
    Sure. The plans are from the biobees website. Free PDF.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Pepperell, MA, USA
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LenInNorCal View Post
    Very nice looking hive. I couldn't spot the entrance, so is it towards the wall? I am a bit jealous as I should have put mine on legs as well! So, building another before the season passes? We know you want to!
    The entrance is indeed facing the fence. They seem to like to use other means of entrance though.

    .....I *am* thinking of building another, but I'm feeling a bit uneasy about the existing hive and its success....we'll see...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Pepperell, MA, USA
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldbee View Post
    "Just a side note on the gardening. You're supposed to plant the flowers in the ground, not the pots."

    It's going to be the,.."Salvador Dali affect".

    There might be flower seeds planted in that soil by those pots. I have seen photos of wooden barrels that appear to be tipped over; the soil has spilled out and many pretty flowers are growing from it.
    My large terra cotta pot broke in half so I dug two holes and buried them both. A few days later I planted alyssum in both of those. Glad to be able to recycle the pot.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Accord, NY
    Posts
    333

    Default

    Real pretty hive!
    I have an idea why they don't like using the entrance facing the fence. You can drill some new holes facing an unobstructed direction. They'll like it much better.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Sebastopol, Ca.
    Posts
    307

    Default

    I don't know. How can you tell they "really like it" as to their fence facing or not? Seems reasonable to you and me, but I've got to wonder.
    SF, just build another....now is the season, at least around here, and then the window closes (don't know about Florida) so, build it and they will come!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ads