Default Hello from Ontario

I'm two weeks into my second foray into beekeeping and having fun. I purchased two 4 frame nucs two weeks ago, the primary motivation being to have my own pollinators for 30 fruit trees that have been steadily declining in productivity after a nearby apiary was moved out.

I had 6 great years of learning about bees 10 years or so ago, then suddenly my colonies were abandoned with ample stores in the fall. I'm suspecting mites so mite control will be job one this time around.

The bees have been making slow progress building up comb, I see them coming and going with pollen and a quick check on a warm day shows queens in both and brood coming along.

Also to my delight they are foraging in the pear flowers that have just opened here. I was afraid that the dandelions would be too much competition but okay so far.

Very impressed with many of the discussions here, I am sure Mr. A.I. Root would also be quite taken with this board if he were around.

I sure don't get to say this very often...........

Welcome from your neighbor to to the south.

Well thanks, but actually I think you are north of me, I'm at 44.5 deg N and Devil's Lake is just south of the 49 th parallel, no? I would imagine our winters are similar, lowest was -32 dec C last winter and killed a big part of one of my best grapevines.