Thread: Sun Damage?

Default Sun Damage?

When inspecting brood, how damaging if any is sunlight to the eggs or larva? I have a friend that claims any time in direct sunlight is harmful even a few seconds. Thanks in advance, This forum is great.

The most common suggestion I have heard about checking for eggs and young larve is to stand with your back to the sun and hold a frame up in front of you. The sun shining over your shoulder will help you see into the bottom of the cells to see the eggs and brood. I think you will find that nearly every beekeeper does this. The best time to inspect hives is the height of foraging time on a good weather day. Prove it to yourself by looking at a frame of eggs/larvae in the sun--take a nice long look. Go back a week later and see if the same eggs/larvae have been capped. If the larvae have been harmed/killed the bees will not cap the cells. They would remove them from the hive.

Ask your friend to cite a source for that claim. Better yet, wager a 6-pack of your favorite beverage before doing the experiment I suggested and then enjoy your winnings!
    Carl

I have kept eggs and larva in a 5 gallon bucket (tossed in on comb from a cut out) for hours and they still ended up being capped when placed in a hive. They were not handled gently. I have also had capped brood emerge inside tubs 3 days after they were put in there (while waiting to melt down the comb).

I am not saying that you should do these things =). I am saying it has happened.

Thanks guys, this will greatly reduce my stress while inspecting the hives and maybe add to the fullness of the fridge.

I would worry about chilling the brood more than sunlight damage. If it is cool or windy, it is possible to chill the brood if you have the frame out very long.