Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

70 yr old beekeeper turns blogger, shares secrets

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Lost Bee 
#1 ·

My dad, a master beekeeper, is just beginning his blog on the Sugar network.

http://campbellshoney.onsugar.com is a repository of his knowledge and a daily (or bi weekly) peek at the life of Hugh Campbell, a seventy year old beekeeper that's getting his hives ready for the 2009 summer crop. He has about 300 hives, but his oldest son Peter has about 1200 hives and together their apiary is one of the largest in Southern Ontario, Canada.

So have a look, ask questions, but please be kind to him - this beekeeper just loves to share his knowledge and would appreciate any feedback. Leave comments on his blog, or better yet, private message him directly.

See less See more
#3 ·
i did note one intresting fact in his blog

Last October we packed well over 1200 healthy, strong, well fed Colonies, for the winter. This spring we unwrapped less than 900 alive and well
He attributed the losses to CCD. But it was unclear to me weather or not that ment that the lost hives still had plenty of stores come spring, of if they had simply starved to death.

Its been my understanding that starving due to low stores, and dieing and leaving many stores were 2 different causes. (the latter attributed to CCD) Am i misunderstanding? Or is it just not that simple?

#5 ·
Hello fellow Ontarian,

I hope your bees do better this winter. I don't have bee hives yet but was wondering
if adding a 2-inch hard styrofoam layer around the hives would help the bees go thru
winter easier. I bet the styrofoam boards could be eaily cut and tacked with nails only
going into the foam and not the wood of the hives. I'm not sure if I would put some
of the roofs though.The vent holes would have to be made of course. I imagine that
the beehives used today are no where as insulating as a tree that wild bees live in.

Just wondering what race or breed of honey bees are you using?

I plan on getting carniolans when I get into it.

Ok, hope you the best.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.