Default workers in w/Queen cage

Just put in my first 3lb packages today. What a fun time!!

Everything went well - all six went in without a hitch.

One question - in all six of my queen cages there were a few workers in there with her. The queen was in there and looked fine -but looked a little crowded with 4-5 extra workers. I hit them with a little sugar water, puled the cork (with a little hole in the candy) and hung the cage between the frames - but just was not expecting to see workers in my queen cage.

I assume it's normal as it the same in all six packages.

They assembed the packages on Monday, and these bees have been with their queen for three days now. Going to check again in 3 more days to see if the queens have been released.

Yes, it's normal to have some "attendants" in the cage with the queen. They will feed and groom her until she is released to the greater colony. I don't think I have ever seen more than 3.
    Carl

I'm just worried as the attendents in there with her can't get any water. I know they can chew on the candy for some food, I think it should be fine - have 3-6 in each cage.

Had another small issue - just went and checked on the hives tonight at dusk. On one hive found a grapefruite size size swarm on the outside. Was not sure what to do, but used a dust pan - hit them with a little sugar water and then quickly opened the lid and dumped them in.

Hey - I'm a beekeeper now - whoo hoo - it's a good day!!

Default Queen Cage

I get my queens from CF Koehnen and they always have 5-6 attendents.

When you first get them put a drop or two of water on the non candy end on the wire. The bees will drink it and give to queen. After you put the cage in the hive the bees will care for her.

Remember the queen cannot take care of herself and needs the others to feed her, groom her and help her go potty.

Welcome to the addiction!
    Last edited by Jer733; 05-08-2009 at 10:50 AM.