Thread: Nuc creation

Question Nuc creation

I intend to make two 5 frame Nucs from my two strongest hives and will introduce queens.

Queens are on their way should be here in a day or 2 but next couple days will be rainy and cold so I'll have to wait on pulling the frames for 3 or 4 days. Is it possible to keep the queens alive out of a hive that long?

Or

Today is a half decent day, I can pull my frames & put them in the Nuc boxes queenless. Is it ok to introduce the queens a couple days later when they arrive?

And finally do I have to worry about bees leaving the Nuc bozes and going back to the old hive?

John

The bees will be OK for a couple of days til the queens arrive. If you get young nurse bees, they will stay in the split. You can also put a frame with some open brood in the split to get the bees to stay. I always put a frame with some open brood, but no bees, in a box and place it on top of a strong colony above a queen excluder until the nurse bees come up to cover the brood. Then you can take the box, bees and all and introduce a new queen. The young bees will stay with the brood and will not be hostile to the new queen. This method eliminates the need to search for the queen in the old hive since she will not pass thru the excluder into the box above. You can take as many frames of brood as you need, usually 2 or 3.

Do you replace the frames from the donor hive into the same position with foundation or do you move new frames into the middle of the cluster?

Mike

I replace the donor frames with empty drawn comb so the queen can quickly lay in them. The only exception is if I need some new drawn frames, then I just add foundation and let them draw it out. If adding foundation only, I place it between two drawn combs.

I'm just being curious. How long would it be before the split would start to develop queen cells?

In my limited experience, my colonies have picked up on being queenless very quickly and start making new queen cells. Part of the re-queening process is to check in the 4 to 6 day time frame and destroy any queen cells you find. Once you destroy them, any other open brood is too far along to be made into a queen.
    Carl