Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default stings one but not another?

Are bees alarmed by someone's natural body oder. The reason I ask is last week I picked up a NUC. The guy I bought it from was not being attacked by the bees. As soon as I got out of the truck I had a couple warning me. I hurried and put on my suit. we looked in the hive and they were all in my face and hitting me. I looked over at him and there wasn't even one on him. I got nailed 5 times. ok, I thought maybe I had some sents on my suit from the last year... I got home and washed my suit and got a new pair of gloves. Yesterday I checked my NUC, another hive and dumped a swarm in a hive. I had a few get after me ( not like when picking up my NUC). My dad (scared I'm going to have a bad reaction to a sting so he goes with me if I'm thinking of bees,,, not complaining!) was wearing a freakin T-shirt the whole time. He came out without a single sting and he was 2 ft. away from me while I searched for the queens. Now why could someone be able to be unprotected and not get stung and another be suited up and get attacted quite often. These hives are not hot. Any answers?
    Michael
    2nd year beek, 3 hives!

Odor can be an issue. Especially when people use certain shampoo, cologne, etc.

I think your real problem with the nuc was the truck ride to your yard. You can have a very calm nuc turn defensive after a car ride. It agitates them quite a bit.

And YES some people have a natural body odor undecernable to other people
    [ they don't smell ], however insects are drawn to them.

Ever notice, 1 person gets covered with misquito bites, or covered with nats, ect. even thou they just have had a shower, no make up etc, and no one else in the crowd is really bothered

There has been a lot of research on this.

PCM

hello all,
    well first what color clothes do u wear can't be dark in color or fuzzy Bees hate them reminds them of a preditors.If you been stung once must remove stinger or they will keep pestering you.At the sting site apply smoke.when I go mess with bees i use lavender lotion they don't even notice me hardly.

Ever notice, 1 person gets covered with misquito bites, or covered with nats, ect. even thou they just have had a shower, no make up etc, and no one else in the crowd is really bothered
    I am that person, my neighbor won`t stand by me in summer when skeeters are out---oh and I dont weare make up
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

I think it might be your breath! Not that it is bad, but the fact that you might have been breathing on them! They do not like it when anything breathes on them and they will react to it in a nasty manner. A lot of new beekeepers do this and not even realize it.

The other thing might be that you moved too fast....move slowly. Approaching the hives from the front is also not a good idea....approach from the back or side.

Eating bananas will also attract bees and skeeters!

Brenda

on the NUC.. they were after me at his place, so there was no ride to bother them. And I was wearing a light gray work shirt. I wonder if there is a soap that could be used to get rid of any oder? I use unscented soap already.
    Michael
    2nd year beek, 3 hives!

Try smoking yourself up good before you approach the hive. Smoke arms and hands heavily. The smoke does a pretty good job of masking any odors they might pick up on. If you are working a lot of hives, you may need to re-smoke yourself periodically.
    "The UNKNOWN, huh? That would be SNORBERT ZANGOX over in Waycross."

I think that people who have spent a lot of time around bees do subtle things subconsciously that keep them out of the firing line, like go behind entrance or lower the face so a cap brim obscures eyes. Smokers also have quite a " mask " on, covering bo, hair will trigger defense so wear a cap. And of course after you're a marked man they keep hitting you in the same area.

Default Unlucky or are they just too aggressive

I have 2 hives in northern IL, this is my second season. My bees were mildly aggressive, always guarding, would fly up at me the minute I lifted off the lid. I did my first inspection Saturday, it was beautiful weather, the bees were out and about, it was 2pm, I go 17 stings and couldn't really finish what I intended to do. I too was wondering about the smell. I was at a bee school with about 25 people and I was the only one the got stung just standing around watching how splits should be done.
    will smoke really mask the smell that much?

I think smoke would.. i smoke myself heavilly. lol almost to the point i cant breath just for the initial layer on the cloth.. it does help.. . i go outside. no mater what i wear or how clean i am.. i always have one or 2 scouts buzzing around me. landing on me.and checking me out.(friend took a pict of one on my arm. hopefuly it will come out.). no mater where i am on the property. or what im doing be it brushing a horse down or milking the cow in the am.there they are..
    . i wonder what i smell like to them.. cant be a flower.. not after messing with the animals lol.. or maybe they just recognize my scent and the fact that my scent means sugar water/food.. that is a possible..since when i feed them i dont wear a suit. but when i work them i do and im smoked good.. lol.

Works for me. I smoke my hands and arms before I go into the yard. I wear a vail and nothing more than a Tee Shirt. I rarely get stung.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbees View Post
    Works for me. I smoke my hands and arms before I go into the yard. I wear a vail and nothing more than a Tee Shirt. I rarely get stung.
    I have one hive now that would send you back to the truck for more cloths, gona fix that tomorrow
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

LOL I have some hot ones. I have a friend with some Russians that will make you want all the protection you can get. My Italians are very gentle, the only time I ever get stung is if I smash one by not being careful.

My friend swears that his bees get to know him over the seasons and as long as he works them they are fine. They really don't care for me at all. Now I have my own bees, I am interested in testing this.

The theory that the bees get to know a beekeeper over the seasons is a pleasing theory but I don't see how that can be true when a worker bee lives only about 30 days. Probably the beekeeper gets to know how to work the bees more gently. In any case a gentle hive can become aggressive over one season. So I like the friend's theory but am not convinced.

My teacher at the bee school had a theory: he said that due to some old fear or apprehension some people emit an odor that may have this result, but the good news is that over the time a beekeeper can control its own odor or "pheromone" (didn't say how). Besides stings release an odor hugely attractive that says to other bees: hey girls there is somebody to sting
    Al

I have read in several books, Ross Conrad's was the latest, that ones demeanor in the bee yard has much to do with the ladies behavior. If you become a careful, calm, respectful beek protection is rarely needed....this is my experience as well. If I get in a hurry and get sloppy the bees will quickly let me know but if I am calm and deliberate...lets just say I worked my bees this morning in gym shorts and a t-shirt. I believe they can sense fear as well. But that is just me. This is taking into consideration that there are certain times when they are just going to be in a bad mood and under those conditions it is best to let them be...ie while raining.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

Honest people have nothing to fear.

"Honest people have nothing to fear."

Now we know who all the dirt bags are!!
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill