Thread: Sinko de Mayo

Hybrid View

Default Sinko de Mayo

Hellmann's Mayo

Most people don't know that back in 1912, Hellmann's mayonnaise was manufactured in England. In fact, the Titanic was carrying 12,000 jars of the condiment scheduled for delivery on May 5th in Vera Cruz, Mexico, which was to be the next port of call for the great ship after its stop in
    New York.

This would have been the largest single shipment of mayonnaise ever delivered to Mexico. But as we know, the great ship did not make it to New York. The ship hit an iceberg and sank, and the cargo was forever lost.

The people of Mexico, who were crazy about mayonnaise and were eagerly awaiting its delivery, were disconsolate at the loss. Their anguish was so great that they declared a
    National Day of Mourning, which they still observe to this day.

The National Day of Mourning occurs each year on May 5th and is known, of course, as Sinko De Mayo.

And now you know where the name originated!
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

Ooohh, Derek... Stinko de Mayo.

Thumbs Up

This one always cracks me up!!

What I find really funny, is how many people believe me when I tell this story. I recently decided to try my hand at real estate. Anyone interested in buying a bridge down in Brooklyn, NY?
    This space intentionally left blank.

you mean the Verrazano Narrows Bridge?

Quote Originally Posted by walking bird View Post
    Ooohh, Derek... Stinko de Mayo.
    Not to many Cinco De Mayo jokes. I will make it up on Passover. I got a million of those.

Quote Originally Posted by crazytranes View Post
    I recently decided to try my hand at real estate. Anyone interested in buying a bridge down in Brooklyn, NY?
    Dang...Wish I would have known that a week ago. I just closed on some ocean front property in Arizona.
    Last edited by Hambone; 05-05-2009 at 03:41 PM.
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

This is not quite a Cinco de Mayo joke, but sort of...

Move over Cinco de Mayo, there is a new Holiday moving into your neighborhood. Mark your calendars, as this year, 5/4 was officially announced as International Star Wars Day. Fans of the Epic Series celebrated around the globe by donning Jedi robes, growling at each other in their best Chewbacca impressions, and bestowing words of wisdom via quotes from the movies, such as "Do, or Do Not... There is no try" or "Get in there you big hairy oaf, I don't care what you smell." As for why this day was chosen over the 25th of May, which is the anniversary of the theatrical release of the first Star Wars movie, that answer can be found in the most famous of Star Wars quotes - "May the Fourth be with you!"

Actually, I know people who take this holiday seriously...
    This space intentionally left blank.

5/4 is my favorite day of the year. Can you guess who I am.