Thread: Newbie paranoia

Default Newbie paranoia

Tonight when I got home from work I checked the bees, and there were 8 or 10 bee corpses on the hive porch. Is this just normal, cleaning out the hive activity? Or is this a little excessive? I'm hoping they're just being tidy, but wanted to ask the experts anyway.

is this 'hive' a full blown hive or is it a new started hive from either a nuc or package?

a full blown hive with a robust population will generally not leave dead bodies on the front porch since they have the staff (house bees) to clean up after the party. a small number of dead bees (from a small population) might be normal, a few more might suggest robbing.

if the hive is brand new I would suggest some form of entrance reducer until the hive becomes fully established.

It's more than just a nuc, but it's not a full blown hive. I bought the hive from a beekeeper, I don't remember if he said it was a captured swarm or split from another hive. He re-queened it with a Carniolan queen recently. He brought me an entire deep hive body, and we had a look on Saturday. They're nice, calm bees. They seem quite well established, and the queen was hard at work-we saw her and her green dot. There were eggs in all stages of development, and even new bees hatching. Of the nine frames, I would say a good 5 were pretty full of brood/pollen/nectar, and he had cut outs with rubber bands on the others. There have also been bits of rubber bands on the porch and on the ground in front, so there are definitely some enthusiastic cleaners in there. I haven't looked yet this morning to see the state of things. I'll report back later.