Default Just got the hive... already in over my head - Los Angeles,CA

I just acquired a smal hive that had been used by a local avacado grower as a pollination hive. Done some reading and thought this would be a great way to get started. Well after 3 days, these gals are still very testy, and spend much of the day clustered outside the hive above the enterance. The grower stated that he thought it was about 3 lbs of bees, but when he opened it up revised his estimate to 10 lbs. Still awaiting my suit and starter equipment, but there is lots of activity... I am concerned that the hive ( consisting of only one smaller box ) is not big nough for this established group. Could they be ready to swarm? With abit more reading under my belt, I realize that I should have been a bit more prepared, and started my first hive from scratc, so I hope that some forum members might impart some advice to a beginner, and direct me a bit - I would hate to have to start over. Can I just add a excluder, and a couple supers? The air is pretty thick with bees at 6pm, more so today than before... getting a bit nervous.
    Also, any beekeeping courses available online??

Steve Hofmann

Default some advice to a beginner, and direct me

It sound like you need to make a trip to 1559 Fishburn Avenue Los Angeles which is where the Los Angeles Honey Company is located.
    Please tell Larry Walker that I suggested the trip!
    Ernie
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

It does sound like you, or I should say, your bees need more room. Your are correct in thinking you should add another hive body or super. This "appears" to be in order for you. Welcome to Beesource and good luck.
    "My child, eat honey, for it is good." (Proverbs 24:13)

I'm in the LA area as well, and that's where I got my hive and some of my equipment. They are in a weird industrial complex off the 101 freeway. The online suppliers are really slow to ship, so this is your best option.

I'm in the LA area as well

They are off the San Bernadio freeeway not the 101. Perhaps a typo.
    They have been in that location since 1954 or 58.
    If you are going east on the 10 AKA The San Berdo, get off at City Terrace.
    The place is very neat and clean inside. Do not let the surroundings fool you!
    They mill their own wooden ware in Madera, Calif
    Their # one grade of supers are clear pine. They also have a budget grade which is good for the price.
    They are open on Saturday's until about noon.
    Here is their phone number: 1 323 264 2383
    They had a fire a few years ago and re-built the place 100% new.

Ernie
    Last edited by BEES4U; 05-06-2009 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Added a sentence.
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/