Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

How long in Package?

6K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Tom G. Laury 
#1 ·
How long can bee stay in their shipping package? Is their anyway to extend that amount of time? (I'm just worried cus it's supposed to rain the day I get the package)

#2 ·
They can last several days, if necessary. Keep them out of the sun and in a cool (not hot, not cold), dry place. Spray them with sugar water several times a day. If you don't have a sprayer, just 'flick' it on them with your fingers, until the screen is wet.

Bill

#5 ·
If you do a search on this forum, you will find that some folk have kept them for up to a week. But, that is certainly not optimal for them or for you. I would seriously consider DBL's recommendation. As long as it is not pouring rain, you can just dump them in. Some folk on the forum have posted that they even prefer to install packages, when it is raining, because it results in fewer bees flying about all disoriented - they tend to go into the hive and stay in.

Bill

#4 ·
Put them in the hive asap....

they have had a rough journey. If it's warm enough, get someone to hold an umbrella for you or set up a tarp over the hive. Remove enough frames to set the package (entire cage) in the hive box. Install the queen between two frames per instructions and dump a cup or two of worker bees on her. Close the hive and leave the remaining bees to exit via the transport-cage-top. Feed them 1:1 sugar syrup. Kick-back and have a hot-totty. In a few days, when the sun is shining, remove the empty cage and make sure they released and accepted the queen. You might have some burr comb to clean up.

#7 · (Edited)
Every moment they are kept in their shipping package is a moment they could be using to settle into their new home -- this lost time is not easy to get back. There is no brood in the package, all the bees are continuing to age, as they age it becomes harder for them to build comb and raise brood, and they are dying (their population is dropping). They need to build comb and raise their replacements as soon as possible, each lost moment means that it will take even longer for them to grow into a strong colony.

Here in Tucson, Arizona, rain is rare. Hiving packages in Tucson is seldom affected by rain. But, I used to live in Oak Harbor, Washington. In Washington if I waited for a break in the rain before I hived a package, I might have to wait six months or more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.