Default Need some great advice

Howdy All

I have a problem with a nuc i took three frames of brood and bees and placed them in a nuc i had gotten a queen which i was going to put in another nuc but found out they had a queen so i made this nuc annd the new queen and put them in a nuc. Well they took the new queen and she is walking around well when i checked them today they were about empty except for some yound bees and the queen i found lots of eggs and new brood but i can not figure were did the other bees go too. What can i do to get more bees in this nuc to aid in keeping brood warm and get some strenght to them could i barrow some more bees from the hive i took these from and spray them with syrup and honey-b-healthy and spray them both and let them clean up and maybe they will stay.

Thomas

Sounds like many of the bees you tried to start your nuc with were older, field bees, so they returned to their parent colony. For me, it is easier to start nucs with mostly nurse/house bees. So I use an empty nuc box with a screened bottom, put an empty comb or two inside, then shake bees from combs of emerging brood onto the cover of my collection nuc box, but I leave the cover so there is easy access along one side where the comb(s) are located - nurse/house bees cluster on the cover, then enter the nuc and cluster on the comb(s). When I shake the bees onto the cover, field bees almost immediately fly off to rejoin their parent colony. So the bees I collect in this nuc generally can be used to populate nucs or be added to most any colony to boost its population (nurse/house bees are almost always accepted without incident and stay where you put them, since they are too young to have even left their parent hive or learned its location).
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

As for what to do now, you can swap locations with another colony, so the field bees from that colony move into your nuc, or you can take a frame of emerging brood (make sure it's not drone brood!) from another hive, and give this to the nuc. That will give them a strong boost in a day or two.

justgojumpit

Default Thank you

Howdy thank you for the advice i will try to swap with one of my strong hives and let them boost them up.

Thomas