Hybrid View

Default Million dollar ?

Is it the crud,drones mating with aussies,new strain of chalkbrood,or fungicides,spore counts are low???

I'm not really sure what you are asking.

Jean-Marc

Chalk brood is turning up everywhere in Ca.No one seems to have the answer to why.Is it fungicides,our drones mating with aussie packages or what.

I would think that it's something new to the area. Aussie drones is a good bet. I've used a few pacs in the past and 2 of the 3 suppliers overthere had huge problems with chalkbrood. Colonies could die from it. I guess it was a swarm control method. About 30% of the brood could die from it. Mind you they've been around a few years now, I would have expected it sooner, unless you used some last year.

Jean-Marc

Default chalk brood

I have seen a bit more chalk brood than I normally do this year in our California bees though it was far from crippling, have never used any Aussie stock. It seems to have gone away fairly quickly after re-queening in Texas followed by nice build-up conditions.

I had not had a problem with chalkbrood for 15 years, moved to N.Y. with the same bees and the second year started with chalkbrood ( also had brought in some new queens) last year was getting rediculious. but also had other symptons. Treated all hives spring and fall with fumidil as I was sure I the queens I had bought had n.c., the only hives I have a chalkbrood problem with(two) didn't take there med's. Not scientific, no way to prove, but will see how it goes and adjust. Any other N.Y. beeks seeing chalkbrood?

mike