Default How do I catch a wild swarm

I'm new to beekeeping, and while I was doing some excavating, I found a bee hive in a old cherry tree. My question is: how close or far should I put my nuc to the existing hive, and is there a height prefrence that I should hang it. I just got some swarm lure and I'm wondering what my chances are of catching the bees if and when they swarm. Also, how often should I check to see if in fact I have cought the swarm.
    Thanks for any and all info.

I know a lot of people use nucs for catching swarms, but many swarms are too large for a nuc so they don't get caught. If it was me, I'd use a deep box for the swarm trap. Most swams like to land 6 to 10 to 15 feet up in a tree, so if you have the ability to hang a box that high up, that's what I'd do. Check on it once every couple of weeks or a month is fine. If you get one, then remove the box and place it in your beeyard at dusk.
    "A good day is when no one shows up and you don't have to go anywhere." - Burt Shavitz (Burt's Buzz)

They say the trap should be 8-10 ft. high, 50 -300 ft. away.
    Lure and old comb are attractants, however it is still a gamble, they may or may not use it.

Just look now & then to see if a steady stream of bees are entering and leaving.

I'd say the odds are less than 50-50, my luck at least.

Good Luck
    PCM

Quote Originally Posted by PCM View Post
    They say the trap should be 8-10 ft. high, 50 -300 ft. away.Lure and old comb are attractants, however it is still a gamble, they may or may not use it.I'd say the odds are less than 50-50, my luck at least.
    PCM
    I have caught 25 this year. All at a height reachable from the ground. I am getting about 2 out of three filled. Lemongrass oil and old comb in five frame nuc boxes or larger.

Yeah, if you properly bait it with pheromone lure, you'll get pretty good success rate.

Mine is 80% last season. 4 out of five

This year I have too many bees and not enough equipment, so I did not put out the traps.

In fact I caught five swarms in boxes in my yard, and I don't even have bees at my house. One time the box was still in my pickup in the driveway.

You'll do fine if there are bees around.
    Troy

My swarm bait hive is a small top bar hive that has 6 top bars. I have a cedar tree that fell 2 or 3 years ago in a wind storm. I set it in that with the entrance hole facing south. I can reach it. I put in waxed top bars and smear lemongrass oil inside with a q-tip. I left the q-tip inside. I did this last year and caught a swarm and set it out about 3 or 4 weeks ago and a swarm moved in this past week. My bait hive is about 50 or 60 feet in front of my hives.
    I have a neighbor that has about 10 Langs and noticed he set 2 of them on the ground about 40 or 50 feet in front of his hives, just this week. I am assuming that he does this to catch his swarms but I have never talked to him. He doesn't live there but has his hives there at his sons house.
    Robee

Thanks for everyone's help. I'll let you know if I am lucky enough to catch this, or another wild swarm. This beekeeping stuff, so far, is FUN!
    Again, thanks.