Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Prices of Queen

I should have prefaced my statement with "in my opinion"

I would like to see more evaluation of the queens in the mating nucs before just selling them off. For example, John does a great job at evaluation and so does Velbert and Bush and Palmer.

When I was in Cali, I did get to go out and pick queens with the folks who do it for a living. No one went through the mating nucs to see the laying pattern. They just picked the queen and off she went.

And they charge the same price or more for those queens. And the price keeps going up.

But this is only my opinion. Everyone has something they look for. For me, I like to know someone evaluated the laying pattern.
    Chef Isaac..Culinary Arts and Honey are a sweet mix! http://www.sweetascanbeehoneyfarm.com & http://www.adoptahive.info

Wink

Everyone should give queen rearing a try at least once.
    It's a very humbling experience.
    I am aslo interested in the 2% losses at $15 sounds like a quality queen breeder providing a quality product.

I can verify what Sherri has stated. Upon inspection of 5 of her packages, all of the queens had good solid brood patterns. The only complaint was that the smoker almost went out from lack of use. Yes, It pays to do it right the first time.

Roland

I would agree it is a humbling experiance. Hard to do.
    Chef Isaac..Culinary Arts and Honey are a sweet mix! http://www.sweetascanbeehoneyfarm.com & http://www.adoptahive.info

Because the queen is the colony the quality of the queen you get is much more important that what you payed for. A cheap queen is not that cheep if that queen does not perform.

Gilman

Here's a question for you all.

If given a chance, would you buy cells at $3-4 or buy mated queens at 14-18 ? And why would you buy one over the other?

Smile Here's a question for you all.

Kieth,
    I have the answers to your question.
    But, it's not fair for me to give them out as I sell queens and queen cells!
    Ernie
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

well my 2 cents worth. I think QUEENS should be higher priced.Seems too me to keep up with supply and demand.no im a hobbiest not a breeder..or seller

both would seem to be a gamble. Queens cells need to be mated. Queenns that are mated and sold are being assumed they lay nicely.

All said and done, I would go with the queen cells as they can mate with your local stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Jarrett View Post
    Here's a question for you all.

If given a chance, would you buy cells at $3-4 or buy mated queens at 14-18 ? And why would you buy one over the other?
    When you install cells, what % take do you get? Sometimes it's 80%, but sometimes it's 40.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    When you install cells, what % take do you get? Sometimes it's 80%, but sometimes it's 40.
    Most of the time it's 80% plus, I don't go for the early ones, I hold back till the weather is warmer.

I would bet that at the end of the season, my cell % take is the same as the mated queen % take.The only difference is the twenty five thousand is still in my pocket.

Default my cell % take is the same as the mated queen % take

Using queen cells can have an acceptance rate of 90+%.
    If, you do it correctly?
    Ernie
    Ernie

Thanks for the kind words, Roland. Now lets just hope those girls make some honey. That is, if it ever warms up enough.......

Cells or mated queens?
    Keith, up here in the north country, (you California beeks have heard rumors of snow and below freezing temps in April, right? ) when we need spring queens it is too early for the cells to mate, and once it is warm enough for mating we make our own. When we went to TX we sometimes bought cells but usually made our own down there as well. We have thought about setting up somewhere in either California (you got plenty of room for more bees, right?) or somewhere on the southern tier for making the spring queens, it would save us pretty good bucks, we have spent over $12K on queens so far this year. that is about $9000 more than the cells would have cost, but there are headaches with cells as well and the timing just doesn't work for us. A good store bought queen up here in early April is definitely the way to go.
    If we were further south and/or didn't run enough to justify the queen rearing we would more seriously consider cells.
    Sheri
    Last edited by JohnK and Sheri; 05-03-2009 at 09:37 AM. Reason: we make, not buy queens once it warms up.

Default Using queen cells

There are some of us that use the cells as a forced supercedure of the old queen.
    You can place a queen cell into a "problem" hive and turn it into a productive hive.

I like to use my Cordovan breeder queen as a gentic marker for any problem hives.
    Ernie
    Ernie

Well said Sheri,

My post started off with "if given a chance" if you want a early start mated queens sometimes is more cost effective.

Although, I would not buy a mated queen until after the 20th of april. I shake thousands of pounds of bulk bees for N.Calif queen breeders, I see first hand what goes in & comes out here.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Jarrett View Post
    Although, I would not buy a mated queen until after the 20th of april. I shake thousands of pounds of bulk bees for N.Calif queen breeders, I see first hand what goes in & comes out here.
    Yikes, we bought 300 before the 20th, 100 shipped the 1st, 200 shipped the 8th. But Keith, if your bees were in there, they gotta be good. So far, we have been very pleased with those queens, only 1 out of all 300 been bad, again, so far, 2-3 dead in the cage. The thing is, we NEED queens the first of April and I hate to leave everything to the FL queens, like to spread the risk around, lol.
    Seriously tho Keith, are you implying they don't have the bee resources to put out early queens? We always buy early queens from up there and have rarely had problems, only when the weather was iffy.
    Sheri

Cells are great if you have time and good weather.
    Right now I am sitting here watching it rain while i should be out making nucs for cells that are going to hatch Tues. The guy I am making them for wanted to wait for good weather ha ha. We should have made them last week but the cells won't hatch tell Tues. Just a timing issue. Cells are not quite as convenient as mated queens.
    However a queen raised from a cell during good weather is probably superiour to a queen that is caged and shipped across the country.
    We have had wrecks and success with both and when its all said and done I don't think the price differance is as substantial as one would think.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK and Sheri View Post
    Seriously tho Keith, are you implying they don't have the bee resources to put out early queens? We always buy early queens from up there and have rarely had problems, only when the weather was iffy.
    Sheri
    Sheri,
    What I am implying is:

What are the odds of having good mating wheather, last week in march OR the second week of april ?

What are the odds of having plenty of drones, last week of march OR the second week of april ?

A top queen reseacher said, She believes that it is more important to have a diversed drone pool than it is to have a perfect raised queen cell.

So, ask yourself, when are the drones at there peek? I can tell you this, it isn't the first part of april.

And also, ask yourself in Jan how's your D/O rates? THAT is what's important.

Reminder

I guess I have been putting all my eggs in one basket for to many years when it comes to buying my queens.
    The problem is I thought by buying all my queens and packages from the same producer, that my supplies would not run my price up as fast as smaller buyers.
    There has to be to big of a demand for queens from my producer to not still take care of those that have been paying the bills over the last 16 years. I guess I need to up my prices on my product to offset my added expenses. Or just say I losted my job and give the new truck back.

How do I tell my packer I'm increasing my price 15% this year. Well the cat is out of the bag now.

Ron

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast