Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Prices of Queen

Thumbs down Prices of Queen

I just got my first queen shippment of the year, and the bill as wow!! I was paying $12.75 each last year and the bill I got today was $15.00 each. I've been with this producer for over 16 years. I've tried others producers but haven't found anyone yet with that good of queens. I only get a 2% dronelayer or nonelaying queen with this supplier. What is a guy to do. Each year I need more and more queens and year the price keeps jumping up. Where do I go to get good queens for a reasonable price.
    Or should I just forget it and suck it up.

Is this the way business is ran. The producer place the price on the product and the buyer pays it. Well, if this is so the packer better watch out next spring.

Well another day another $1000 spent. Tomorrow has to be better. What good is money if you don't spend it.

Ron

Default High Quality

Always the best deal in the long run.

Each year I need more and more queens and year the price keeps jumping up. Where do I go to get good queens for a reasonable price.

Breed your own to control your input costs?

Well another day another $1000 spent. Tomorrow has to be better. What good is money if you don't spend it.

But hopefully we all spend our money wisely. Ohio does have a queen breeder program. Have you considered taking that $1000 and finding a local beekeeper who is interested in queen breeding? Find someone who wants to try breeding, and has a good head on their shoulders, but maybe can't afford to get into queen breeding very serious - you might be able to help provide a little financing, and they could give you a price break on queens. You might be able to partner up with someone, and you could both benefit.

When life hands you lemons, make lemonade.

Householder, are you not the beek that destroys your bees every year? Why are you buying queens? Do you not buy packages or do you have another outlet for bees?

Just curious?
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

uhhh... at a level of 2% drone layer and $15/queen, mind sharing the name of your queen supplier?

undoubtly the game 'in regards to how price is set' is played much as honeyhouseholder suggest. undoubtly the most constant gripe in the old bee magazine pile I have (dating back to the 70's) is the constant whinning about the 'high cost of queens'.

I do pay a good bit more for queens than honeyhouseholder does... but then I do like to drive a mercedez benz... but then I do like being a bit off the blocks a bit ahead of everyone else.

I just started using a queen breeder that catches queens after 3 weeks so he can judge the brood pattern. The queens look great so far ,and they only cost $12.50 each. If you are interested PM me and I will give you his info.

Reminder

Quote Originally Posted by Bizzybee View Post
    Householder, are you not the beek that destroys your bees every year? Why are you buying queens? Do you not buy packages or do you have another outlet for bees?

Just curious?
    Yes, I'm the one that doesn't winter my bees. I started spliting my packages yesterday. I bought 650 2# packages on 3-21-09 and I split and shake packages from them. I use 250-300 queens for just splits and packages on top the all the queen that I buy in my packages. With that kind of queen buying I feel I should get a better deal.

With prices of bees and queens keep jumping up each year. I just might have to buy a place in the south to just sale bees. Heck with all this honey in the north.

Costs and input are a major concern regardless of what business you are in. However, I am baffled when beekeepers think the cost of queens is too high yet want better quality, and not to mention the queen is the foundation of every colony. It really does take a great deal of input to produce high quality queens. If you ever get the change to go visit a commercial queen producer it is well worth the time. The cost of production is not simply the time spent raising each queen, but the overhead behind the production process, all of the support colonies, labor and disasters that can and do occur in the field. Many of the input costs for the producer have really increased in the past couple of years, and most cannot absorb those costs for very long.

If you really stop and crunch the numbers, I think you will find that paying a little more for good quality queens will pay greater rewards.

Just my 2 cents...

Joe
    Breeder Queens & Honey Bee Nutritional Supplements
    www.latshawapiaries.com

Check into the Ohio Queen Project.

http://www.ohiostatebeekeepers.org/O...enproject.html

You may be able to partner up with someone interested in breeding good queens. You give them an outlet to sell to, and they supply you with queens. Win/win for both of you.

Quote Originally Posted by The Honey Householder View Post
    the bill I got today was $15.00 each. Ron
    Cells are running $3-4 piece, yes, I would say $ 15 is not a good buy, I would go with cells.

Buying queens is like buying hay... always cheaper on the the other side of the horse.

In all seriousness, in relative price terms adjusted for inflation queens are cheaper now than they were in the 70's.
    John B Jacob www.oldsolbees.com

the problem is that tyhe prices keep going up and the quality (of most) are going down.
    Chef Isaac..Culinary Arts and Honey are a sweet mix! http://www.sweetascanbeehoneyfarm.com & http://www.adoptahive.info

queens here are $17- $20 a piece + shipping.

Default Quality queens

Actually the quality is AT LEAST as good as it as ever been. Chef Isaac, what are you basing your statement on? There are queen breeding and raising operations not far from you in Calif that are as good or better than any in the world. You could not produce the quality they can, nor could many others!

How many years of observation is your opinion based on?

Default Missplaced values.

Crome wheel rims.
    Can't afford quaility queens.
    Ernie
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

Default Always

Better if you can blame it on someone else, No?

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Isaac View Post
    the problem is that tyhe prices keep going up and the quality (of most) are going down.
    I know this is a flash point for you chef, due to recent bad experiences, but you must admit it is very limited experience.
    One of the reasons for high prices is the risks of queen rearing and the chances of things happening beyond the queen producers control like weather, working against them. It is risky enough business making them for oneself but to be making tens of thousands for sale is an undertaking that I can appreciate because we produce our own queens here once the weather warms sufficiently and know how time consuming and detail oriented it needs to be. There is so much that can go wrong.

We have tried "cheap" queens, which didn't prove too cheap once you realize it took 1 1/2 - 2 queens to make a good split.
    Consistent quality costs money. There have been times in the past few years where weather and demand made supply tight and some queen shippers might have pushed their picking a bit, but in general we have found it is worth it to pay the higher prices demanded for excellent quality, service and knowing you will have your queens when you need them. We have found the quality absolutely top notch this year, from all 4 of the different producers we dealt with, well worth the money. But we still make as many as is practical here in the summer, to help with costs.
    Sheri

I paid $10 each for queens last year and got 300 of them. By fall I would say I replaced over half of them with cells. Most of the rest turned drone layer in late august. I won't buy cheap queens again. Actually If I ever get to have it my way well migrate south and raise all our own. Someday!

Matt
    Columbia City, Indiana

Default $7.50 Queens circa 1975

"What cost $7.50 in 1975 would cost $29.69 in 2008.
    Also, if you were to buy exactly the same products in 2008 and 1975,
    they would cost you $7.5 and $1.80 respectively." from: http://www.westegg.com/inflation/infl.cgi

The basic techniques haven't changed much since then but what a dollar buys sure has. The conditions surrounding beekeeping now compared to when queens were "cheap" are a lot more challenging.
    John B Jacob www.oldsolbees.com

Default Consumer mentality

Is what always gets me: I PAID FOR 10 QUEENS yada yada....

I can't imagine what people like JBJ have top put up with...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast