Default Weak hive with varroa...

What is the best method to help get rid of most of the varroa on a weak hive without damaging the bees? i have a hive that is a bit weak.and i think it is due to the varoa mites.. (took off a burr comb and opened it to find almost every pupa and cell had at least one mite in it.. )

There are a number of techniques. If you don't mind using chemical treatments, there is Apistan, Checkmite plus, oxalic acid, etc., etc. Then there is also the powdered sugar dusting method.

If it is really weak and you have another colony, you could always combine the two. But you are still going to have a mite problem that is going to kill your bees, if you don't do something. Then again, if you don't do anything, your problem will cure itself. But your bees will be dead to. Sorry if this is too blunt.
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

Quote Originally Posted by beekeeperlady View Post
    (took off a burr comb and opened it to find almost every pupa and cell had at least one mite in it.. )
    apigard or formic acid if you have it would be my choice, apigard if you are going to need to put supers on soon, formic is better but must stay on longer and you have to wait to super.

mike

Being weak, I wouldn't worry about getting supers on any time soon. Seems like there would be plenty of time for the leaving supers off after the treatment.
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

Treat for diseases and pests before you plan for a crop.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Right. not planning on a crop this year out of that hive. sigh. but also looked up the formic acid pads.. they recomend them for 2 supers deep and.. alot of bees i have 1/4th of what they reccomend.. so thinking ill use the strips.. pluss il do something ive seen others do on here.. im gona retrofit a bottom board to have a screne.. to alow the damed buggers to fall through to either a sticky trap or into the ground.. i found on youtube a how to dust for varoa with powder sugar.. aparently the varoa hold on by sticky? or sucker like apendages.. and the dusting breaks that.. and they fall most of them do anyways..
    . went back to feeding as well as we have been having rain .. lots of it and its washing the nectar away out of the flowers.. and i really dont want to stress the bees any more than they were .. i put the feeder out and within a hour it was coverd in bees.. and.. we have rain till monday then off and on for another week.. a good bloom is not gona do the bees any good if the good stuff gets washed out or the bees cant fly in the weather..

i forgot to ask! i remember reading somewhere on this site. and now i cant find it.. about an esential oil to use with feeding the bees that somehow disrupts the varroa life cycle.. does anyone remember that one? that might also be a way of disrupting thier fun..

If you are going to use a chemical even formic, you should test your mite count before and after to make sure the chemical worked. Formic will for sure work, but you want to know the counts to make sure you got a good enough kill.

Check with Mite Away two. I think it can be used on a single brood box. Call them they can help

Quote Originally Posted by beekeeperlady View Post
    but also looked up the formic acid pads.. they recomend them for 2 supers deep and.. alot of bees i have 1/4th of what they reccomend.. so thinking ill use the strips..
    The mitewayII web site says 6-20 frames of bees can be treated in one or two brood chambers(i assume deeps)

www.miteaway.com

miike

Powdered sugar won't lower you're might levels, unless you do it more than once a week. according to Randy Olivers study weekly dustings can keep a might level from going higher, but not reduce it. www.scienticicbeekeeping.com
    Dan

Most of the mites are in the cells. The quickest fix is to cut all the drone brood out and throw it away.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF