Default Use Honey For Stings?

I was listening to an old man talk in a nursing home. He used to keep bees and he said that applying honey to a sting would kill the reaction, no pain, etc. Has anyone else heard this or tried it before?

It is supposed to be good for tick bites too. I had a tick bite on my ankle and that is how this old fellow started telling about the the olt timey uses of honey!

Brenda

Default I have

I have read this in a book called Honey in The Hive, or maybe it was another one. I haven't tried it, but I do know from personal experience with my own stings, and ones to my children that a small amount of whetted snuff or dip work really really good. Buy a can of the dip that is packed in packets to make a neater application. Suck on it or hold it in your mouth for a couple of minutes and then use a band aid to hold it in place directly over the sting. I don't know how or what it does, but I do know it really really helps. I used to dip the loose stuff and just took a plug from my mouth and applied it to various family members stings. I no longer use tobacco but still keep a fresh can in each vehicle and house in case one of my girls are stung. I have four little tomboys who are always getting stung by something. I know the reaction and their whines are much less when compared to no treatment.

I have tried using honey on bee stings when extracting and it does seem to take some of the burn out of the sting.

Their is also another thread on here about putting honey on burns to the skin. Seemed to work they claim.

I know that honey applied to Diabetic ulcers works to heal them with nothing else other than skin grafting is left. My mother has been an insulin Diabetic for around 30 years and lost her sight from Diabetes complications. Any sore or wound that does not heal will benefit from the application of honey.

I had never heard of using it on the stings themselves. Of course this old gentleman had kept bees for most of his life, so I thought that maybe someone had also heard of it. Honey sure has some amazing powers.

Brenda