Default For all you bear fence folks

We've been using one of these on our pasture fence for close to 10 years. Before I got it, I thought the fence always worked. After putting it on the fence, I was amazed how often it was not working. If any of you have your hives close enough to your house to see this light, I definitely recommend them. I think I bought it at Tractor Supply, but this is a link to one that looks like the one we have.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...H04HXWQEPPXBTV
    The more I learn about bees, the less I know.

Default Re: For all you bear fence folks

Kool buying one for my pastures always try to get the wife to test it she always says n8 for some reason....

The Amazon one says "Typical battery life is 5 years on standby or up to 2 weeks of continuous flashing". I take it you found one that lasts longer?

I like the idea - I even think the bears might equate the flashing light to "Danger", but don't want to be changing batteries every two weeks. My base unit has a flashing light - 'seems a duplicate one, out on the enclosure, should be simple enough for someone with more knowledge than me.
    After 40 years of beekeeping, I've come to realize that the bees can fix most of my mistakes.

It only flashes when the fence is off, not when it's on. I have changed the battery in mine once.

It's no problem to notice it when it starts flashing. I have it hung on the fence about 100 feet behind my house. At night, if it's flashing, you'll notice it.
    The more I learn about bees, the less I know.

AHA! Excellent - thanks!
    After 40 years of beekeeping, I've come to realize that the bees can fix most of my mistakes.