Thread: cutout comb

Default cutout comb

I did my first foundationless cutout last night.
    As I'm struggling with fishing line tieing in the comb on my empty foundationless frames I'm thinking there MUST be an easier way lol. Wanted to run this question on the forum and I'm hopeing for feedback on some methods used for easier efficient ways that some of you guys have figured out for tying in comb. Thank you very much for your thoughts and ideas shared!!

Default Re: cutout comb

rubberbands

+1 Rubberbands. A friend uses cotton thread/yarn and thumb tacks. on one side of the frame he places 4 or more tacks in the edge of the side bars and ties/loops the string to the frist tack and then weaves from bar to bar pushing each tack in until reaching the last, then he flips the frame over and brings the string to that side, again installs tacks in the side bars and weaves the thread but dose not push the tacks in but makes sure he has enough thread to do so before cutting it. Whe ready to install the comb all that is left to do is when the frame is full he then takes the loose thread and weaves it around the tacks and ties off on the last one. Jim
    Stop and smell the flowers, 50,000 ladies can't be wrong
    Bsweetapiary@aol.com

I agree with the rubberbands. It works great. As the bees get the comb bridged in they will remove the rubberbands themselves. It looks funny the first time you see them hanging out the entrance of the hive. I made some of the hinged swarm trap frames too much effort once you use rubberbands. Check out JPthebeeman on you tube he shows how it can be done.

jmtc,

Joe
    Joe and Heidi S.

I find masking tape to work quite well. Just put the comb within the frame and wrap the tape around the comb and side bars horizontally to hold it inside the frame. Then wrap a couple of strips vertically, going around the bottom of the comb (not the bottom bar) and up and over the top bars. This holds the comb against the top bar so they can attach it to the bar. In a few days they chew the tape off just like they do with rubber bands. I prefer the tape just because I can never find rubber bands just the right length.
    “Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.” – Albert Einstein

Rubber bands put a couple 3 on each end before you start
    when you place comb in frame just stretch the bands over

Works like a charm

rubber bands. 3 on each end. bees remove them for you.
    Zone 5a @ 4700 ft. High Desert
    Facebook