Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

My Tanzanian Top Bar Hive

19K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Michael Bush 
#1 · (Edited)
As a neophyte beekeeper, I enjoy seeing photo's of hives that I am interested in. As there are not a lot of pics nor information on Tanzanian Top Bar Hives (horizontal hives/long box hives/ etc.), I thought I would share mine.

I wanted to be able to transfer my frames from the nucs I bought directly into this hive. So my dimensions had to fit accordingly. I was going to go with a box type front and then have it morph into a kenyan top bar hive. But I listened to Michael Bush and went this route instead. I'm glad I did as it was a heck of a lot easier to make.

Although there are drawbacks to having such a long bar (19"), there are also some benifits. I can interchange frames with langstroth hives, or with an adjustment to my lid, I could add supers or other boxes above.

I went with old wood so that it has that rustic look. I sanded and cleaned up the insides and left the outside looking like it does. I think it looks a lot nicer in this location this way.

The lid has plywood and then the metal. The overhang in front is mostly because the metal sheet was that size and I didn't have to cut anything. But it should keep the weather off of their front deck.

See less See more
#2 ·
The two bars laying on top show the triangle/wedge shaped top bars that I made. Through the opening you can see the follower board. The different colored slats are covering the openings caused by the langstroth frames from the nuc.

This image shows how I attached the follower board. I shaved a little off of one of the top bars and attached it.

Here is a shot of the front with the entrance feeder and my super expensive entrance reducer. I think it might be a stake or something that I grabbed when I set the hive up. I just covered the entrance leaving a small opening at one end. I'll just pull to the left to enlarge. It seems to work alright.

Like I said, I'm a total beginner. My dad used to have them when I was young, but I am just figuring this all out. If anyone see's any problems, let me know. Hope it helps anyone else looking around for something similar.

#3 ·
DaggerD, very very nice. I do like the rustic look of the hive, good call leaving the original patina.
I just got my first tanzanian hive last week, bees are going in the next couple of weeks or so.
I have 2 kenyan hives as well, I like the concept of the whole topbar hives, although I do have langs too and enjoy them as well.
It will be interesting to see the differences between them all and to make comparisons.
Good luck with it!

#4 ·
That is a good looking hive, i like the old wood. I used grooved topbars and inserted some cut up foundation about a quarter inch , then hit them with the blow torch to fasten them in a bit. So far the packages I installed are building good. I really like those angle TBs, I might have to try some of those. Did you melt any wax on them?

#5 ·
Thanks Natalie. I have a langstroth hive as well so that I am able to compare. I personally am drawn more to the top bar hive, but we'll see as the year progresses.

ncsteeler, I did melt some waz on the tips of them. I just rubbed a bunch of wax on the tips and then hit it with a hair dryer. Although I suppose the torch would have been faster.

#9 ·
Aram,

Thanks for the pictures and detailed instructions. Currently my top bars use a starter strip but I like the wedge bar idea better, it would certainly eliminate a weak point as the bees can attach comb directly to the top bar. I am also thinking about trying wedge bar foundationless frames.

nwgabeeman

#10 ·
Thanks for the great step by step Aram. That is exactly how I made mine as well. I then just rubbed some wax on the tips and melted it in with a hair dryer. As for the box... I had drawn up plans but forgot them when I went out to make it. I just grabbed one of my langstroth boxes and took the measurements off of it (making it three times as long).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.