Default My Tanzanian Top Bar Hive

As a neophyte beekeeper, I enjoy seeing photo's of hives that I am interested in. As there are not a lot of pics nor information on Tanzanian Top Bar Hives (horizontal hives/long box hives/ etc.), I thought I would share mine.

I wanted to be able to transfer my frames from the nucs I bought directly into this hive. So my dimensions had to fit accordingly. I was going to go with a box type front and then have it morph into a kenyan top bar hive. But I listened to Michael Bush and went this route instead. I'm glad I did as it was a heck of a lot easier to make.

Although there are drawbacks to having such a long bar (19"), there are also some benifits. I can interchange frames with langstroth hives, or with an adjustment to my lid, I could add supers or other boxes above.

I went with old wood so that it has that rustic look. I sanded and cleaned up the insides and left the outside looking like it does. I think it looks a lot nicer in this location this way.

The lid has plywood and then the metal. The overhang in front is mostly because the metal sheet was that size and I didn't have to cut anything. But it should keep the weather off of their front deck.

Last edited by DaggerD; 04-22-2009 at 09:22 PM.

The two bars laying on top show the triangle/wedge shaped top bars that I made. Through the opening you can see the follower board. The different colored slats are covering the openings caused by the langstroth frames from the nuc.

This image shows how I attached the follower board. I shaved a little off of one of the top bars and attached it.

Here is a shot of the front with the entrance feeder and my super expensive entrance reducer. I think it might be a stake or something that I grabbed when I set the hive up. I just covered the entrance leaving a small opening at one end. I'll just pull to the left to enlarge. It seems to work alright.

Like I said, I'm a total beginner. My dad used to have them when I was young, but I am just figuring this all out. If anyone see's any problems, let me know. Hope it helps anyone else looking around for something similar.

DaggerD, very very nice. I do like the rustic look of the hive, good call leaving the original patina.
    I just got my first tanzanian hive last week, bees are going in the next couple of weeks or so.
    I have 2 kenyan hives as well, I like the concept of the whole topbar hives, although I do have langs too and enjoy them as well.
    It will be interesting to see the differences between them all and to make comparisons.
    Good luck with it!

That is a good looking hive, i like the old wood. I used grooved topbars and inserted some cut up foundation about a quarter inch , then hit them with the blow torch to fasten them in a bit. So far the packages I installed are building good. I really like those angle TBs, I might have to try some of those. Did you melt any wax on them?

Thanks Natalie. I have a langstroth hive as well so that I am able to compare. I personally am drawn more to the top bar hive, but we'll see as the year progresses.

ncsteeler, I did melt some waz on the tips of them. I just rubbed a bunch of wax on the tips and then hit it with a hair dryer. Although I suppose the torch would have been faster.

That is kind of what I am looking for in my back yard hive. Where did you get those plans or did you just wing it? How did you cut the angle TB? Thanks

DaggerD,

How well are the bees moving past the nuc frames to your top bars?
    And I too am curious about how you made your wedge top bars.

nwgabeeman

DaggerD, !

nwgabeeman, I don't know how Dagger does it but here's how I do: pictorial

Aram,

Thanks for the pictures and detailed instructions. Currently my top bars use a starter strip but I like the wedge bar idea better, it would certainly eliminate a weak point as the bees can attach comb directly to the top bar. I am also thinking about trying wedge bar foundationless frames.

nwgabeeman

Thanks for the great step by step Aram. That is exactly how I made mine as well. I then just rubbed some wax on the tips and melted it in with a hair dryer. As for the box... I had drawn up plans but forgot them when I went out to make it. I just grabbed one of my langstroth boxes and took the measurements off of it (making it three times as long).

Neat photos. I always learn something new. Thanks DaggerD.

Regards
    BWrangler
    I once wrangled bees. But now, knowing better, I just let them bee.
    http://talkingstick.me/category/bees/

Hi All,

I tried Aram's method of making "Wedge" Top Bars. Works like a charm.
    Thanks Again,

nwgabeeman.

It looks great. I would shorten the tin so the wind doesn't catch it. I wouldn't have it stick out more than a couple of inches past the front and none is fine too.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF