Default cellbuilder issues

On both of the hives that I used for cell builders, the Queen that was in the hive (that I excluded in the bottom) stopped laying. and I don't understand why. I am wanting to graft some more larvae, but needless to say, I don't want the hives I use as cell builders to suffer because of it....any suggestions as to what I may have done wrong?

Are you feeding constantly?

There were lots of honey stores, but no, we did not feed while they were building...do you think thats what caused it?

well duh huh, (not enough coffee yet)Yes we were feeding them. We had hive top feeders on top of each one with sugar syrup.

Default queen

Difficult to say from here, it is really quite important to rotate brood from below to up above and keep some empty combs down below. Also very important to regularly check the brood above to check for rogue cells. In cells builders my saying is almost anything can happen and at some point probably will. Any number of things could be happening but highest on the list (if you have actually confirmed there is a queen that refuses to lay in empty comb) is that a stray virgin has gotten down below and the hive is preparing to swarm. Good luck.

Default No eggs?

I would suggest that you place a frames of open brood with eggs in the lower brood chamber to see if they will make natural queen cells.
    Or, your queen could have beeen accidently transfered into the upper cell building brood chamber. If you have grafted cells in the upper brood chamber they will be neglected and or chewed down very soon.
    Good Luck,
    Ernie
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

This thread is getting spooky. I have been watching it because I too am trying to raise some queens and am not having great results. I took a peek yesterday to see how my last batch was doing and all the cells had been started on but then abandoned. While I was puzzling about it I spotted the QUEEN. Yes, above the excluder. I moved her up with a frame of open brood apparently. Well, I'm trying another batch.

I've thought of making them queenless but I really don't want to. What's everyone's experience with a queenright cell starter?

By the way, this hive has filled a medium super above my cell box while I've been trying this method.
    "Lead, follow, or get out of they way". Thomas Paine

Default Getting to lay

If you put her in the bottom and there was not any young larva to draw a few nurse bees she will stop laying she needs some nurse bees around her to so she will be fed royal jelly this keeps her producing eggs. Or she could have been to the point they were wanting to swarm and they stop feeder her the R-Jelly so she could slim up to leave with the swarm

Quote Originally Posted by Velbert View Post
    If you put her in the bottom and there was not any young larva to draw a few nurse bees she will stop laying she needs some nurse bees around her to so she will be fed royal jelly this keeps her producing eggs. Or she could have been to the point they were wanting to swarm and they stop feeder her the R-Jelly so she could slim up to leave with the swarm
    I don't think I had any young larvae below, I will be sure not to make that mistake again.

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    Difficult to say from here, it is really quite important to rotate brood from below to up above and keep some empty combs down below. Also very important to regularly check the brood above to check for rogue cells. In cells builders my saying is almost anything can happen and at some point probably will. Any number of things could be happening but highest on the list (if you have actually confirmed there is a queen that refuses to lay in empty comb) is that a stray virgin has gotten down below and the hive is preparing to swarm. Good luck.
    We did catch a swarm in our swarm trap today, but will have to wait until this afternoon to figure out if it came from one of those hives.
    As far as most anything can happen and probably will...I 2nd that Everytime I turn around I have made another mistake,despite all my reading and research, but at least I am learning from them, and it will be much smoother, hopefully, next time. Despite all my mistakes, I have 6 virgin Queens on my 1st attempt Now if I can just get them mated....
    Thank you so much you have been great help!