Thread: dumb question

Default dumb question

If you were set up to do so, could you raise queens, contain their mating flight in a greenhouse, with a hive of known drones, to narrow down the genetics?
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Young View Post
    If you were set up to do so, could you raise queens, contain their mating flight in a greenhouse, with a hive of known drones, to narrow down the genetics?
    NO
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

It has been tried in the past without it working. It might have something to do with the queen wanting to go to a mating yard further away then what the drones in the same yard fly to prevent in-breeding problems. Scott

I suspect that it could be done if you were to setup a very large bio-dome type structure similar to the tropical rain forest habitat at Moody Gardens in Galveston, TX. The biggest issue would be the millions of dollars it would cost to build. The same thing can be accomplished using instrumental insemination at a cost that is not at all prohibitive.
    "The UNKNOWN, huh? That would be SNORBERT ZANGOX over in Waycross."

I believe that Dr. Roger Morse, at Cornell University, Ithaca, NY did some experiments w/ queens and drones inside a cage inside the Dyce Bee Lab. And that isn't a huge facility. I don't know if the trial was successful.

I agree w/ Gene mostly.

I also think that Instrumental Insemination could be easier than indoor controled mating.

By the way, there are no "Dumb questions". Though there are plenty of dumb answers. But not here.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries