Hybrid View

Question any bees for sale in Canada?

I wanted to expand this year, but had 40% loss throughout the winter. Wish I was able to get bees from the U.S. they're inexpensive on the other side of the border. Maybe I could sit in my lawn chair just on the other side and spray myself with some queen hormones and attract them to Canada...Another question I had for some of you is pollination vs honey crop. The last 2 years I've been bringing my bees to the north to pollinate the blueberries, but this seems to put the bees under great stress and producing much less honey when they are back. Then again, there is the money 110$ for pollinating per colony, if you make 25lbs more times 2.5$ a lb. What are your impressions on that. thanks stephen

Default frasier auction service

phoned the other day to ask about package avaliability. My supplier mentioned that it was really unlikely that I would get my request this late, most all packages are spoken for.

Reason being? Heavey wintering losses this year.

My suggestion,

dont plan to expand this season. Bees are expensive to buy, package or privite treaty.

wait til next season. It will pay to wait.
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Where do replacement packages normally come from in Canada? Australia?

Re the blueberry question, we have the same situation here in Wisconsin with cranberries. They can be pretty hard on the bees and they could be making honey during that time. If there is a good flow and the price of honey is up you lose $ taking the bees into cranberries, but when honey prices are down and/or if there isn't much of a flow during pollination time you are way money ahead. Often it just comes down to what you are best set up to do, if you have the honey supers etc. Not always an easy call. We have never taken our bees into cranberries but have been tempted a few years.
    Sheri

Default cranberrys

I sent bees to cranberrys last year from South Dakota because the last 2 years had dryed up , and of couse SD had a bumper honey crop that I lossed ,hard to figure need that crystle ball

Salut The Buzz,
    2 beekeepers selling hives in the Mtl region...

http://www.craaq.qc.ca/pollinisation...D=450-475-1065
    http://www.craaq.qc.ca/pollinisation...D=450-691-0674
    cheers

Ian: I have to take issue with your comments. Prices of packages have been where they are for a long time. The are not higher because of higher winter losses. Demand is strong because honey prices are good. If a beekeeper wait 1 season he misses out on the high honey prices. Mind you Australian packages or New Zealand packages are pretty hard to break even on the first year. I doubt very much that either are cheaper next year especially if honey prices stay where they are.

As a technique a like to take hives and explode them into multiple units. Wait till the get strong and nighttime temperatures are good, then break hives ino 4-6 units. Purchase local queens and that is your increase for next season. Purchase some nucs in the spring to make up for the hives that will be exploded later.

BTW I sell nucs. You are kinda far Stepehen, but I'm always up for a challenge.

Jean-Marc

Default Wish I was able to get bees from the U.S.

If you are looking for queens, there are two very good breeders that I know of in northern California that are approved to ship into Canada.
    If not, get the bees into a heavy feeding and split with 2009 queens.
    Ernie
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

I talked to two guys today. One from a bee supply store the other was a private seller of nucs.
    At the bee supply store there is note much to be had due to high winter losses unles someone backs out.
    From the guy selling nucs, everyone is looking and needing due to high outdoor winter losses. He also said a guy from Alberta flew in on his own plane looking for a semi load from the brandon Manitoba area so he could fulfil his Alberta pollination contracts.

Sorry if the comment leaned the wronge way Jean Marc.
    Yes the price of nucs are high because of high honey prices, but if also because beekeepers need to fill boxes or replace losses. If the beekeepers had no losses there wouldnt be quite the same push to buy up these bees.
    Watch the up comming auctions, bet the hives go high,
    also expect the comb to go high

There is a saying, when the price of bees are high, the combs sell cheap, and when the honey comb sells high, the bees are cheap.
    They tell me the trend is basically, when bees are dead, beekeepers need bees not boxes. When the bees are alive , beekeepers need boxes not bees,
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

thank-you very much guys, I called alain moyen but he doesn't have any for sale. I have not reached the other gentleman from the monterigie region, I'll get on that tomorrow . I have not heard from the blueberrie guys yet, there might be a surplus of bees because quebec bees can't go to new-brunswick this year because of the detection of hive beatles in southern Quebec. I will be getting my queens this year from Chili 17.50$ canadian because queeens this year from hawaii jumped from 22$ to 29.50$ supposedly because of the high U.S dollar.< deleted by moderator, "wanting to buy" item>
    cheers Stephen

Jean-Marc how much are nucs going for out there?
    Last edited by JohnK and Sheri; 04-23-2009 at 11:30 PM.