Question How would you do this combine?

My dad gave me a queen so I made a small split for it. The queen was put in a push-in cage Sunday over a patch of emerging brood and nectar.

It is a tiny split as I was unable to locate the queen in the huge parent hive ( my only other hive) and didn't want to risk accidently brushing her into the new hive. There are only a few hundred bees in there. I added one frame loaded with nectar and pollen also so they don't have to worry about foraging for now.

Next Thursday my dad is bringing a nuc box containing a swarm he caught from his own hive. I haven't seen it but it probably takes up most of that box so that will solve the underpopulation problem.

What would be the best way to combine the two so that the queen is accepted by both groups of bees?

(Presumably the split queen will have been released and accepted by then).

Find and kill the swarm queen. Wait about a day and a half, then unite the swarm with your nuc using the newspaper method. OR find the queen in the large hive and replace her with the nuc caged queen, since you evidently purchased her to replaced the older queen.

Wait about a day and a half, then unite the swarm with your nuc using the newspaper method.
    I think I will try this method since the queen will have been released by then.

I just hope the few hundred bees will be able to protect the queen from the nuc-full of bees if there is a fight. How many layers of newspaper?

Default Newspapers

I use 2-3 layers and have had good luck.

I do exacty what you are doing with cutouts and swarms. Remove queens and do newspaper combines.

Good Luck.

The swarm I am adding should go on top or bottom?

Make very sure that you wait a complete day and a half after you have killed the swarm queen, otherwise the swarm will have trouble accepting the "new" queen. OMTCW

Default Combines

Good advise I wait 2-3 days before combining.

Little regression.

When I get a swarm or colony, I cage the queen for 4 days. Remove and dispose of her. Wait two days, Pull frames and look for any queen cells. Should not be any.

After removing the top from the primary hive, put 2-3 sheets of Newspaper on top and place new group on top of newspaper (no bottom board just the newspaper. For top (new) hive slide the top cover to the side a bit or prop open a tad to give top hive a way in/out.

If you do all this in the same yard you will have to place something in front of the (new) hive entrances when moving them around to make the bees re-orientate.

You can do the same combine with a screen bottom board for top hive. Remove top of original hive (bottom hive) and set new group on top. Ensure that the entrances are away from each other. Come back in 3 days and see if any agresssion on screen, if not remove and combine and combs...

Whenever I do a re-queen or combine, I check them weekly for a 4 weeks to ensure supersedure is not attepted.

Am I doing this right?

Guys, thanks for the responses. Well things just got a bit more complicated. My Dad called this morning and will be coming up a week early with the caught swarm which completely fills one nuc box.

The queen I am hoping to introduce is currently in a push-in cage with a few hundred bees inside a deep. She has been in there since Sunday and that's before a five day confinement in a shipped queen cage. Problem is I don't have any spare deeps for the newspaper method and neither does my Dad.

So heres what I'm thinking- tell me if this sounds okay: When the nuc arrives this afternoon remove its queen. Tomorrow (or maybe the day after) move the frames from the nuc into the deep with queen staying in push-in cage. Before combining spray all bees in the deep with sugar water with a drop of vanilla mixed in. Leave her in cage at least three days and check for balling of cage. If no balling attempt release.

What do you think?

Btw, I do have a spare shallow with foundation if the newspaper method is the only way to go although I'd rather save it for honey production.

Default Med Supper

When the bees chew thru the newspaper- 3-4 days after you put them on it, you come back and remove med and clean up. I always open top first and ensure that there is an opening in the paper between the supers.

You can do the same with a nuc, just cover the rest of the top with plywood or use migratory top with a big rock to hold it on (half on).

I have not yet performed a combination without letting them sit with newspaper or a sbb.

Okay thank you.
    Last edited by Dr.Wax; 04-22-2009 at 03:27 PM. Reason: beecause