Platform Scale Up and Running (pics)
Well, before I eventually got the living daylights stung out of me today, I managed to prep my new (old) platform scale and get it set up. I bought it off of Craig's List last month and the weather finally cooperated, so I could get it cleaned up and then set it up in the yard. The scale is about 100 years old, and I bought it for 70 bucks. It came with enough weights to weigh up to 250 pounds. I bought some additional weights on EBay, so it will measure over 500 lbs. If it goes beyond that, I'm calling Guinness!
Here it is wire brushed before painting.
After painting. I used Krylon Fusion, two coats, since it has both metal and wood parts. I lighlty brushed but did not paint the underside and just sprayed a little WD40 on the various connecting points. Next to it is the wooden platform I built out of a pressure treated 2 x 4 x 8. For those of you, who have recommended in other posts that I build my own woodenware, you are seeing the extent of my woodworking skills.
Here it is in the yard from the front.
And, finally, from the rear looking out across the yard. You can just see the house in the distance.
Before anyone comments, I did put some stops on the wheels. Wouldn't want the whole things rolling off into the woods! I'm having a cover built to protect the mechanism on top from the elements. The scale can be read from either side, which is convenient. The weights have all been calibrated on my triple beam scale (Yes, I am that big of a nerd.)
I think it will be fun, interesting and educational to track the weight changes in the hive over the season. Initial weight: 156.5 lbs. But, that's not official. I have to weigh it either early in the morning or late in the evening to get an accurate weight with all the bees inside.
“If you want to gather honey, don't kick over the beehive.” - Dale Carnegie