Thread: more new bees

Default more new bees

I picked up 2 packages of bees from Don at dixie bees last night. They spent the night on the kitchen table, I dont think my dog got much sleep.I put them in their new homes this morning. my son took a video when I figure out how to post it I will. I realy like Dons Bees they sure are gentle.He seems to know alot. Has anybody here had dealings with him? I think he is a wealth of information. Has anyone taken his classes? I am a new Beekeeper and any info would be good.

I just got 4 new packs today from my club.Excited to fill up my other boxes.

I am going to give them a few days together and install them Tuesday or wed maybe. The queen has only been with the guys since Saturday so it might be good to keep them before installing them.

Smile Sooner the better......

Hi eastside,

Are you using a quick release with the queens on those packages? If not, throw them in and start feeding. Sitting in the cages does little to bring things along. I live just north of Mpls. and put mine in Fri. p.m. Just feed after install. That will help the queen acceptance.

Good luck, Phil

I am going to put them in tomorrow afternoon they are quiet now.

Default Re: more new bees

I picked up my bees from Don on the 19th around 5 p.m. Very nice man and yes very knowledgable. Drove home with the two 5 frame nucs in the back seat of my truck on the floor. Wife enjoyed it. Had bees around us from some strays on the outside of them. Flew out before we go out of GA. They are very good bees. Went out there and being new I have two queen cells capped on the same frame. Getting ready to split them. Making some nuc boxs this afternoon and do a split tomorrow. Cant resist. Went out there when I pulled in from work and the boxes where alive. Going to flip the reducer to the bigger entrance, they are slamming in the small opening.

Default Re: more new bees

I also got bees from Don on April 3rd, and installed them. As a little background, last year I lost my hive because I had to re-queen since the bees were way too hot -attacking out of the blue from 20-30 feet from the hive with no provocation. The bees were too weak after the re-queen to survive.

Over the course of the winter, I researched as much as possible. I had seen Don's bees so calm on the youtube videos, that I just had to have a package from him to try again this year.

The bees did not disappoint!! They were super calm during install, and remain so. Me and my family regularly go watch them from just a few feet away in the backyard, and they're as calm as can be, dutifully bringing back pollen and nectar. They've also built comb and brood very fast. Absolutely night and day temperament compared to last year.

This year I installed a second hive on April 18th from Pigeon Mountain (same place the bees last year came from). I'm not sure where they get their bees from (South Georgia?) but some of those package bees immediately flew up and started head-butting me and clinging to and biting my veil. I hope they settle down, because if they don't, they're getting re-queened with one of Don's queens in no time flat!