Thread: Bees In Libya

Default Bees In Libya

Hi all
    In response to some members request, and to answer their query about bee races we have here in Libya, here are some photos of my bees, hope to get an answer from experienced beek.

I have tried my best to resize those photos, i hope they are ok for every one.

All the best

LBK

Seddig

They are perfect! Thanks!
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

Seddig, what bee do you use in Libya? Also, what is the beetle on the box? Large Hive Beetle?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    Seddig, what bee do you use in Libya? Also, what is the beetle on the box? Large Hive Beetle?
    Michael

I am not sure about the bee race I have, my good guess is an Italian, Maybe you can identify them from the picture.
    The beetle on the photo, is a summer visitor to my hives, Its flying beetle, and only interested in the honey. in the TBH I have it never managed to reach the honey comb, but in the lang hive it did reached and it leaves a big damage to comb,
    These beetles start attacking the hives during June and July and then disappear.

LBK

Seddig

Default Thank You

Seddig for sharing with us. It's always fascinating to see other beekeepers in other environments. Isn't there a predatory wasp also? I have seen photos of apiary guards ( two legged ) patrolling for pests in Egypt I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom G. Laury View Post
    Seddig for sharing with us. It's always fascinating to see other beekeepers in other environments. Isn't there a predatory wasp also? I have seen photos of apiary guards ( two legged ) patrolling for pests in Egypt I think.
    Tom,

yes there is a predatory wasps in my area, my hive never been a victim of them, I have heard from a local beek in my area that one of his hives was attacked by wasps and that colony was destroyed in no time. I keep hoping that those wasps never find their way to my hives.

LBK

Seddig