Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

terry writes:
    mayby 2, 500 gallon propane tanks... it would be less sloshing...

tecumseh:
    or more? or more random?

just casually it seems to me the double whammy of thick syrup and extreme swings in air temperatures might make any syrup feeding system a bit more complex than some here seem to suggest. matter of fact I wouldn't be surprised to find that given the nature of syrup and low temperatures that on occasion plugging of pipes might be another issue untouched by anyone's comment here.

Default plugging of pipes might be another issue

The pipes could be wraped with soil cables to warm the syrup.
    Some of us fill the tank with 10% clean potable water before the tank is filled.
    Ernie
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

Quote Originally Posted by tecumseh View Post
    terry writes:
    more complex than some here seem to suggest. matter of fact I wouldn't be surprised to find that given the nature of syrup and low temperatures that on occasion plugging of pipes might be another issue untouched by anyone's comment here.
    Com--mooon Big T have some faith.

I use a 50/50 blend syrup so no plugging problems.

complex..... there is a problem in getting the light to come on at times.

Default complex..... there is a problem

1st you can to have a live circuit.
    Ernie
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

Big Grin

Quote Originally Posted by bees4u View Post
    1st you can to have a live circuit.
    Ernie
    lol...

After sleeping on the topic all night I think that there is no one best way to fill feeders

I guess that there are pro's and cons to any system that a person decides to use. I normaly gravity fill barrels for rob feeding from 250 gallon totes on the back of my 5 ton. they are easy to tie down and minimal sloshing. They can be hooked up to pumps to fill feeders quite easily because there are 2 inch cam locks on the valve. The issue here is the mess created when moving the pump to an other tote when it emptys. I hate small sugar spills.

Preasure systems require heavy steel tank, and create a sloshing issue, but no pumps or moving parts and minimul mess.

I guess I'll have to sleep on it some more

The pressurized system looks like it wuld last a long time, seems pretty durable. Those totes fall apart pretty quick, although they are cheap and plentiful enough.

How are your bees Terry?

Jean-Marc

keith writes:
    complex..... there is a problem in getting the light to come on at times.

tecumseh:
    so keith how much feeding at temperatures that hoover around zero (celsus) and that maintain this temperature for weeks at a time have you accomplished? how much technical expertise do you have in considering the viscosity of syrup at sub zero weather (which is typically transported on the back of large trucks which should make the liquid???? even colder and thicker)?

casually (having not read every post on this thread) syrup fed in feeders is likely neither the best nor the most economical means of suppling feed to a hive. to take a BETTER route you might or might not need to think outside the box (not literally I suspect).

Big Grin

Quote Originally Posted by tecumseh View Post
    so keith how much feeding at temperatures that hoover around zero (celsus) and that maintain this temperature for weeks at a time have you accomplished?
    Big T,

Why would a keeper wait till it got to zero to START feeding? did he/she just then figure out that there bees were light OR did the LIGHT finally come on between there ears.

Who can fly with the eagles when your surrounded by turkeys.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345