Thread: Dog Kennels

Default Dog Kennels

I just got my bees today. What an experience - I dropped them in place just before a wind storm. They're too busy sheltering to worry about being annoyed at a 2 hour drive.

Anyway, I told my supplier something I did and he thought it was a good idea, so I'm sharing it here.

I went to the hardware store and bought a dog kennel. It's just a chain-link fence enclosure, 8 feet by 12 feet (and 6 feet high). I got it because in addition to bees I have a toddler.

The bees don't seem to mind being caged - they fly right through the cage.

My bee supplier said it could also help a little with skunks.

That's a good idea. An even better idea in some locations is a solid board fence enclosure. Cuts down on neighbor involvement, etc. The bees fly UP where they can stay out of trouble.
    "Lead, follow, or get out of they way". Thomas Paine

I like your dog kennel idea. We will have innumerable predator problems at the farm, I'm sure. I may build similar cages out of 1x2 14 g rabbit wire--cheaper and I'm used to building rabbit cages.

Thanks.

We're also planning on planting rose vines around the cage. It will help anchor it down, make it look prettier, give an immediate source of nectar, etc.