Default Different way to introduce a new queen?

Will it work?

Take the top off a strong hive with a laying queen. Do not remove any bees, frames or queen from the hive but place on top of it 2 queen excluders. Place over these excluders a sheet of newspaper. Next, place another super containing a new queen, with attendants along with some empty frames on above these box. Then place on it the inner cover followed by top cover.

In time the worker bees, from below, will chew their way up through the paper and reach the new queen. All the while the new queen smell will intermingle with that of the old queen below. The worker bees will free the new queen and accept her as the 2nd queen. They will drawn out comb for her to lay eggs like they do in the lower box. Soon all comb will be drawn out and the two boxes can be separated without removing any frames and made into 2 separate hives.

I was thinking about doing just this when my 4 new OWC arrive. This way I will not need to remove frames to make splits like what would normally be done. I just let the bees accept both queens and when top box was drawn comb I remove the entire box, along with worker bees and new queen in it, and making separate hives from both. What are your guys take on all this? Can it work?

It might work but I would not risk it. my thoughts would be :-

Why would the bees from below want to eat through the paper when you only had a queen and attendants above?

Usually it is the bees from above that eat the paper.

Unless the bees below where very short of space they would not bother, and if they were that short they may start into swarm mode.

I am only guessing so dont take my word.

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    It might work but I would not risk it. my thoughts would be :-

Why would the bees from below want to eat through the paper when you only had a queen and attendants above?

Usually it is the bees from above that eat the paper.

Unless the bees below where very short of space they would not bother, and if they were that short they may start into swarm mode.

I am only guessing so dont take my word.

What if after a few days, if worker bees from bottom box, do not chew the paper nor release the queen I release her into the upper box and remove the paper. This should give plenty of time for the 2 queen smells to intermix and allow free passage into both supers my the workers yet still keeping the queens seperated.

Why not just use the double screen method,the double excluder may let you acquire more worker bees for the new hive but you have the risk of losing the new queen. I don't see where you would gain much with the double excluder. Jack

<the double excluder may let you acquire more worker bees for the new hive>

I may have been misled by your description of "attendants", here in the UK attendants mean up to six bees in the cage with the queen, if this is indeed the case I cannot see why the bees below would bother to come up unless it was to attack the queen.