Default Nectar Flow anywhere?

Anybody seeing signs of a nectar flow? I live in southeast Texas and there are blooms and new plants everywhere but no sign in my hive of a flow. I still have to feed every few days and bees are not building any new comb yet either. Maybe I don't understand how it works, I am new to this and probably to impatient but it sure seems the bees should be gather more nectar. Any help would bee great. Thanks!!

More Mesquite blooms are popping every day, and the bees are paying them more and more attention. I expect it will transition into a full-blown flow any day now.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

We are on on the early flow here. The wild plums are done, but we have dewberries and red tip photina, bridal wreath, vetch is starting, crimson clover is going. Bigger flow will be in a week or two. Mesquites are a few weeks off for us. My yard at Terrell seems a little dry of nectar right now, but Greenville is good. It's all local.

Jeepers, guys, you make me feel bad. It was a balmy 34 yesterday, got down to 25 last night, and is predicted to go down to 20 tonight. Will eventually warm into the 60's as the week progresses, but if I could give the girls a few thousand tiny, electric blankets, I would. Flow? What's a flow?

Bill
    “If you want to gather honey, don't kick over the beehive.” - Dale Carnegie

Were still about 2 / 3 weeks from tallow flow here . getting close..
    Mike

Coastal North Carolina is boomin'. After a couple of years of near drought, the rain pattern is perfect for a great nectar flow. Temps a little cool for this time of year. Supers are on.
    "Lead, follow, or get out of they way". Thomas Paine

Put fourth super on some hives today. Swarming has subsided due to cold weather.

Quote Originally Posted by topdog17 View Post
    Anybody seeing signs of a nectar flow? I live in southeast Texas and there are blooms and new plants everywhere but no sign in my hive of a flow. I still have to feed every few days and bees are not building any new comb yet either. Maybe I don't understand how it works, I am new to this and probably to impatient but it sure seems the bees should be gather more nectar. Any help would bee great. Thanks!!
    Not all flowers are for nectar. Many are for pollen. I am in the Blubonnet capital. I get zilch from blues but some pollen. Dewberry is blooming. Mesquite didn't bloom until first week of June last year. (So I got that going for me) Not my bees, but like Ross said. They were working the red tips hard yesterday at my moms.
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

Up here in the PNW the first flow is Maple they are just starting to bud, but the weather is still very cool and rainy. I feel dismal when everyone is talking about flow and adding supers and im still stuck with 48 degrees and rain.

We have Maple ready to drop their seeds, but don't have too much blooming right now. Rain last couple of days could lead to a good tulip poplar and locust flow. One super on for insurance, with more in the gate.
    Bnatural, just remember that the last shall be first and good things come to those who wait.

Quote Originally Posted by standman View Post
    Bnatural, just remember that the last shall be first and good things come to those who wait.
    Well, I console myself with the fact that I don't have to worry about wax moths, SHB, AHB or fire ants. But, I do have to watch that the glaciers don't move my hives to the next county. Come on, global warming!

Bill
    “If you want to gather honey, don't kick over the beehive.” - Dale Carnegie

as topdog and derek seem to recognize flowers do not automatically equate to a nectar flow. this seems especially true this year... the bloom here seem totally out of sequence and the nectar flow(s) is extremely late. I suspect... first extremely dry condition followed by cool/wet snaps and cool nights has somewhat to higly limited the flow. There has been no limit to pollen coming in here... as far as I can tell. It does appear that we are now having some nectar coming in which seem to corresponded with the mesquite blooming... although I am not certain that is the source. watching flight pattern does seem to suggest nectar gathering is limited to a few hours in the afternoon.

When I mentioned, earlier, that the Mesquite was starting to come in, I forgot to mention that Creosote Bush, is still our main producer of much orange pollen and some nectar, enough to get the colonies started, like Dandelion does in many other parts of the country. What usually happens is that once Mesquite begins blooming, the Creosote Bush seems to stop.

Though I do see many bees working Mesquite flowers, most of the day, a frame of nectar, left out too long, still gets some attention from robbers. I won't consider the flow to have truly started until this no longer happens - I expect the shift any day now. It usually happens by the fifteenth of April, which is tomorrow.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

I checked some of my colonies on mayhaw pollination contracts a couple weekends ago and my Russians had between 1 and 2 medium supers full of mayhaw nectar. My colonies at the blueberry orchard contract were not strong enough to store suplus blueberry, but the brood chambers have pleny of the bees' blueberry honey. Bites being a crippled beekeeper from my day job injury, otherwise I would have had a blueberry surplus this year.

My colonies at my house yard in Baton Rouge are putting on various wildflower nectars (crimson clover, white dutch clover, etc.) in the supers and brood chambers. Nothing capped yet, but nectar that I sampled is pretty tasty, especially the mayhaw.
    James Henderson
    Golden Delight Honey; 225-803-5406 (cell)

I already extracted my orange blossom honey and am right now, so thankful for the storm passing over us. It should get even more going. I just wish I had more hives.