Thread: First bee yard

Default First bee yard

These are the first hives I have had in a long time. My Dad used to keep bees, and it's something that I have thought about but haven't had the time until now. The photo is from when I installed the packages two weeks ago - been feeding them syrup and a pollen patty. I checked them today and the queens are out and laying, and they are pulling lots of nice white comb.

http://www.rjphil.com/personal/beehives.htm
    Last edited by rjphil; 04-13-2009 at 01:54 PM. Reason: image not showing up

Welcome to the addiction!
    Richard
    Carriage House Farm, North Bend, Ohio

Looks great.
    glassblowing beeguy
    www.gimmebeads.etsy.com

You might not have an ant problem now but ........
    Do you have new boxes ready to add on top?
    Looks nice.

Smile

Hi All -
    This was taken on the day that I hived the packages. The cages were placed on top of the hole in the inner cover and the bees just wandered right down inside in about 3 hours. Much easier than shaking them in. The hives are now closed up, with a bottom board (reversed), varroa tray, screened bottom board, then the deep super, inner cover, ventilated spacer and telescoping cover on each. They are pulling comb nicely, and the queens are laying eggs. I'm a happy guy.

Quote Originally Posted by rjphil View Post
    Hi All -
    This was taken on the day that I hived the packages. The cages were placed on top of the hole in the inner cover and the bees just wandered right down inside in about 3 hours. Much easier than shaking them in. The hives are now closed up, with a bottom board (reversed), varroa tray, screened bottom board, then the deep super, inner cover, ventilated spacer and telescoping cover on each. They are pulling comb nicely, and the queens are laying eggs. I'm a happy guy.
    I read about installing packages this way, it seems like it would be alot easier than dumping the bees out. How did it work for you rjphil?

The gentleman I got my packages from showed me this. It was so easy it was like, D'uh! I placed the queen cage between two frames (one frame away from my division feeder) put on the inner cover and inverted the cage so the hole lined up with the inner cover. Zip, zap, done.

I might try to do some like this this year. How much sugar syrup are your bees going through a day?

I check them every 3 or 4 days ( 4 is the max), and they are using about 3 qts each hive in that time. They are eating the pollen patties, but not too quickly.