Default How close is too close to spraying?

I have a couple hives about 50 yards from a soybean field.

Do I need to worry about them spraying?

I beleave i'd be worried about any spraying. You definately want to ask what thier using to spray and do more research on it.

I wouldn't worry about it. My hives have always been close to bean, corn, hay and wheat fields with no ill effects.

In some areas you can register your location and recieve calls from the county when pesticides are being applied in your area.
    The easiest way is to simply ask the grower well in advance what they will be spraying and to please notify you before they apply anything to nasty. That way you have time to do your homework and find out what your bees will be in contact with before it becomes an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by dcross View Post
    I wouldn't worry about it. My hives have always been close to bean, corn, hay and wheat fields with no ill effects.
    depends on the farmer, some spray correctly and many don't, I had bees in 600 acres of corn etc for a truck farmer, never had a problem, had them 300 yards from a small corn field and had pesticide kill's.

mike

Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    depends on the farmer, some spray correctly and many don't, I had bees in 600 acres of corn etc for a truck farmer, never had a problem, had them 300 yards from a small corn field and had pesticide kill's.

mike
    I would have to disagree and say most farmers spray correctly, and only a few don't. With the cost of imputs as they are, you don't want to be out there just putting it on for the heck of it and in a way that ins't affective. Just let the farmer know you have bees in the area and they'll do what ever they have to to make sure they do what they have to do to avoid problems. If that's not the case, they won't be farming long.

Camp
    As wonderful as this life is, there are days I really look forward to the next. :)

Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    depends on the farmer

Believe me, I could tell stories! I've just never had problems with the bees and pesticides.

whats the word on using spot treatment of "roundup" (type) for weed control around the hives?

The only time i worry about Soybean spraying is late in the season when they are in bloom. Especially in later plantings the beans may begin to get wevil damage and the farmer usually sprays. If the beans have open flowers and your bees are working them this can be a real problem.

With the new GM beans one of the characteristics is lower nectar production. Just another undesirable side effect from the beekeepers pov. In the good ole days with smaller tractors, disimiliar varieties, the planting season was months long, making the blooming season just as long on the other end. Nowdays with huge equipment and few popular varieties they get similiar maturing varieties in the ground quicker and the resulting bloom with be of shorter duration.

Quote Originally Posted by schmism View Post
    whats the word on using spot treatment of "roundup" (type) for weed control around the hives?
    You can use Roundup around hives without worry about your bees.

Quote Originally Posted by beedeetee View Post
    You can use Roundup around hives without worry about your bees.
    Round up won't do a thing to your bees, it's a herbicide, not an insecticide.

Camp
    As wonderful as this life is, there are days I really look forward to the next. :)

Quote Originally Posted by hankdog1 View Post
    I believe i'd be worried about any spraying. You definitely want to ask what thier using to spray and do more research on it.
    I agree with Hank. Talk to the farmer. Some of the insecticides being used on soybeans to control spider mites and aphids have long-lasting residual effects, something like 2-to-3 weeks. Nasty stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by indypartridge View Post
    insecticides being used on soybeans to control spider mites and aphids

Might have a lot to do with my experiences, I don't think we have either of those this far north. Probably worth looking into.

Quote Originally Posted by dcross View Post
    Might have a lot to do with my experiences, I don't think we have either of those this far north. Probably worth looking into.
    We have them here in the UP of Mi. They are most everywhere. That's the reason we have the asian lady bettles.

Camp

Aphids and mites don't discriminate by latitude. Your biggest worry as mentioned by Rad Bee is insecticide treatments at bloom. Not a lot of drift to worry about from boom sprayers unless they're really negligent.

If you talk to the farmer its organophosphates, neonicotinoids, pyrethroids, and carbamates you gotta worry about. The worst of these are restricted nowadays and are being phased out. They're likely required to post the applications for worker safety and you could find out where they do this.

Check your extension office, they should have publications for avoiding bee poisoning that are specific to your area, plus resources to have dead bees tested if pesticide poisoning is suspected.

Quote Originally Posted by Camp9 View Post
    We have them here in the UP of Mi. They are most everywhere. That's the reason we have the asian lady bettles.

Camp
    I thought that was pecan growers?